The substrate is in the fuge section of the sump. It ranges anywhere from 3-4 inches deep. I'm sure it will take some time for the fuge to mature and start helping. It also need some live rock IMO
I picked up some cheato on the net. It came with some cool micro stars and tube worms, as well as a number of pods
. Unfortunately I did find one Isopod crawling around on the algae. He got sucked up with a syringe and a long tube. Who knows the chances that he was alone? I know, not likely.
Still having some problems with too many bubbles in the sump return section so I made a box to fill with rubble to help break up the bubbles as the water leaves the tank. It seems to be working quite well.
Slits were made in the bottom for water to escape as the bubbles hopefully rise to the top and out instead of entering the water column.
Say hello to the first corals...
The lamp that came with the fixture was supposed to be 15,000K. However it was as yellow as could be and I was not happy with it at all. After doing some research and being tipped off by Neilan, I chose to go with a reeflux lamp. Unfortunately it required me to change ballasts too. Here is the Frankenstein version of my test ballast for the new lamp.
There is no question about which lamp/ballast combo is better. I can't tell you how much better this tank looks with this new lamp. The pictures really do not do it justice. I would not hesitate to go with the reeflux lamp in the future.
There are more pictures if you care to browse Here