Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #91
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to amahler
I posted the copper test procedures just after the post to which you are replying - so they are there for the reading. I forgot to answer that initially, but came back to it.

I'll run a nitrate test and report back. My main tank has had somewhat high nitrates (which I'm lowering with a transition away from bio-balls), so I suspect it's on part with the main which is around 20. I'll run a specific check and let you know.

The numbers I posted cover both QTs since the only difference I can see between them (aside from the pH of the unused tank being -slightly- higher and better) was the clarity of the water on the unused one. That's why I'm irked... I'm not seeing problems in the original QT but decided to move him over one tank this morning after the Scopas death.

- Aaron

90G acrylic/22G sump/TF100A skimmer
90lbs (45 liverocks.com & ~45 donated 14+ year old Fiji)
Imperator, D. Saddle Butterfly, 2 Percula Clowns, Cleaner Shrimp and an army of Hermits that never sleep
amahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #92
Aquarium Advice Activist

Rev,

No - I don't have a grounding probe... can you tell me more?

Would this relate to stray electrical activity? I've heard mention of that and have wondered if that's a possible factor but have no way to know.

- Aaron

Imperator, D. Saddle Butterfly, 2 Percula Clowns, Cleaner Shrimp and an army of Hermits that never sleep
Old 06-07-2005, 11:39 AM   #93
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by amahler
I have the Seachem kit suggested for use with the Cupramine.

I put in a level measuring spoon in one of the little cups, add two eyedroppers (up to the bulb) with tank water and mix it with the end of the spoon. I then add two drops from the test kit, mix it and left it sit about 10 minutes. After that, I just try to match the shade of blue (which, of course, is not the easiest thing in the world... but doable).
I don't know how I missed that post but I did, sorry 'bout that. All seems fine there.

Quote:
I'm transitioning from Wal-Mart RO/DI water in jugs to tap water (well water - not chlorinated) from the RO. It seems plenty decent from everything I can tell. No copper and no phosphates in the tests I've run on it.
Have you tested the TDS coming from your RO to determine if it's working properly? The unit has prefilter carbon stages before the membrane?

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #94
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hello!

Yes, two prefilter stages before the membrane.

I also have completely new replacements for the prefilters AND the membrane that should arrive today as well as a booster pump. I'm trying to get to using all RO water and stop buying inredibly difficult to manage cart loads of water from Wal-Mart on a constant basis.

The RO unit was given to me along with the rest of the system. I was told the carts were in good shape, but I'm replacing it all just so I know for sure as well as adding the pump.

What other test should be run on the resulting water?

Thanks!
- Aaron

Old 06-07-2005, 11:49 AM   #95
steve-s

Quote:
What other test should be run on the resulting water?
In regards to the RO, the best method of testing is with a TDS meter. Since you do not have a DI resin it seems, there is still the possibility of contaminates from the well water. You can use your standard tests but it may not tell you much. Since the unit seems to have been purchased used (?), there is a good possibility some of the filter parts are exhausted. If so, this could easily be part of your problem.

Has your well water ever been tested?

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-07-2005, 11:53 AM   #96
Aquarium Advice Activist

No - but I can get the well water and the RO water tested pretty soon, I think. I work for a small college with a good environmental sciences department (along with Chemistry and Biology) and I think they can do some pretty extensive tests for me.

I'll find out - I've been meaning to do it for a while.

Thanks!
- Aaron

P.S. How different are the DI units from groups like Kent, etc., in the aquarium products realm and the ones you buy for drinking water, etc., at places like Lowes? If I wanted to add a DI, could I get something locally that is reliable?

Old 06-07-2005, 05:14 PM   #97
steve-s

Quote:
P.S. How different are the DI units from groups like Kent, etc., in the aquarium products realm and the ones you buy for drinking water, etc., at places like Lowes? If I wanted to add a DI, could I get something locally that is reliable?
You should be able to get a DI part from Lowes, HD or even Ebay that will work very well. Parts for these units are rarely if ever manufacturer specific. If available I would suggest the clear re-fillable chamber. It's much easier to determine when it needs changing especially if you do not have a TDS meter.

Depending on the TDS of your well water before going through the RO membrane, it can still be as high as 50 ppm or more coming out. With the DI resin attached after the RO output, that can be reduced to between 0-5.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-07-2005, 05:16 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm snagging an inexpensive TDS from eBay right now. I'll hopefully know more in a few days time. I'll also try to get it tested more immediately in some other way, but I figure I need the TDS for the long term if I'm operating an RO.

Thanks!
- Aaron

Old 06-07-2005, 07:03 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Activist

The angel has no interest in eating whatsoever. Two pieces of food, soaked in garlic sit there without garnering his interest. One bounced off his head on the way down...

Scopas dead, Angel looking like he's next soon. So far my QTs look like a death setence instead of a place for cures. And, like I said, I don't see any obvious problem with levels to be causing this. Aside from the cupramine, the tank he was in was mostly main tank water and the tank he is in now is 100% main tank water.

Do I keep up with this, or put him back in the main for the meantime since ich is already a factor in there and try to figure out what's going on?

Thanks!
- Aaron

Old 06-07-2005, 07:17 PM   #100
steve-s

I sent Seachem an e-mail on your behalf to see if they have any suggestions. The only thing I can possibley suggest otherwise is discontinue the treatment. The only thing that is coming to mind as possible problems is faulty readings/test kist or contaminated source water.

Run some carbon, do a few good sized water changes with well aged/aerated unmedicated SW. This should quickly remove the med. If the fish perks up after that, then something is definately amiss.

You would still need to treat the affected fish though. As I suggested in the beginning of this ordeal, hyposalinity is the best option overall.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...=425266#425266

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com