Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2005, 11:08 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to amahler
I could swing the hypo process since I have a good quality refractometer (same one everyone else seems to have from eBay).

Is hypo vs. cupramine one of those raging debates if I just go ahead and ask for a headcount from each camp?

- Aaron

90G acrylic/22G sump/TF100A skimmer
90lbs (45 liverocks.com & ~45 donated 14+ year old Fiji)
Imperator, D. Saddle Butterfly, 2 Percula Clowns, Cleaner Shrimp and an army of Hermits that never sleep
amahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:19 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
I agree with Rev, whichever way you go, you are gonna have to do constant water changes everyday. I had my yellow tang in a twenty alone, and was doing small water changes daily. Its really up to you, two twenties would be good in the future when you have to quaranitne fish you are gonna add, you only need to fill up with 20 gallons instead of 40. You can also use the other twenty for something in the future like a small reef, or coral prop tank like Rev did, his is really nice. being a newbie myself, i was gonna do cupramine because i didnt have a refractometer, and it seemed to be simpiler. It turned out i was just being paranoid so havent done either of them, but i do have the cupramine in case it does happen.

Good luck.

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:26 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Activist

Urgh - just checked and the shipping is UPS. So two days is great, but the second day would be Saturday and that's a no go for UPS except on priority overnight.

I seem to always get crammed up against a weekend when it comes to things I need shipped in a hurry. Overnight shipping will be half or more of my order cost since even two-day shipping wouldn't get here due to the weekend.

Am I playing with fire getting the QTs set up but no Cupramine treatment before next week? Or do I bite the bullet and pay through the nose for overnight?

- Aaron

Imperator, D. Saddle Butterfly, 2 Percula Clowns, Cleaner Shrimp and an army of Hermits that never sleep
Old 06-01-2005, 11:38 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

ouch, how much extra is overnight? How bad is your Fish? Its really up to you. I def. agree with you, i think its rediculous that UPS doesnt ship on Saturday, USPS does.

Old 06-01-2005, 11:44 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Cupramnine (copper) vs. Hypo question is just really a question of which one you prefer. They are both very effective in ridding fish of Ich.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:51 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, UPS does ship on Saturday, but it's always an added cost thing and tends to apply only to air shipments (2-day would qualify, I think). The irony is that I'm thinking the extra cost on top of the 2-day base cost ends up being on par with just doing overnight (or so close that it'd make sense to just do overnight).

My Imperator came with Saturday delivery and that added $12 (which I think is standard). 2-day is around $12 anyway, so that makes it $24 or so. Overnight itself is $24.

Go figure. (sigh)

I wish my LFS didn't suck when it came to stocking quality supplies. This applies to lighting and most any other thing I've tried to get there. I feel like I'm always compromising or coming up short locally. I tend to accept higher local prices when the service makes up for it... but I've had questions for employees there and knew immediately they had no idea what I was talking about. I asked once early on if they had a selection of quality pumps (big external ones like Iwakis, etc) and the kid took me over to the rack of HOB filters and starting looking around to see if he saw something that looked like a "large pump". He told me I'd find what I needed there most likely. I just let it drop and said "thanks" since I realized it was pointless. And no, they had NOTHING like a real external pump in the store.

The Cupramine thing tonight just cranked me off and I could feel the setbacks mounting on this quest. It makes me realize I need to stock up on even potential supplies when doing orders like this since I've got no chance of finding what I need in a hurry locally. My order for Cupramine already includes a few miscellaneous other items I've been thinking I needed but can't find in town (filter socks and things of the sort). If I'm paying for shipping, I might as well maximize it within reason.

I suppose I'm going to bite the bullet on shipping. I see little choice.

Thanks!
- Aaron

Old 06-02-2005, 12:02 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have entirely too many questions.

A 100mL bottle of Cupramine treats "500 gallons".

How, precisely, does one apply that to 20 or 40 gallons of QT space? If I'm doing constant water changes, etc, how long might I expect a bottle to last.

Order more than one?

- Aaron

Old 06-02-2005, 12:09 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak

well if you change ten gallons a day, which you wouldnt change that much, thats fifty days. more then enough.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:10 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

It will last for a few treatments. You'll use 1ml per 10.5 gallons for the first dose. Then 48hrs later you will repeat the same dose. Then what you take out, you'll redose. Say 10,5 gallons you'll do one ml. It's enough trust me.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:12 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ah - I was thinking there was an ongoing addition to keep the levels up that might burn through the stuff pretty quickly.

Considering I can't buy it locally, two bottles might be in order whatever the case.

Thanks!
- Aaron

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com