Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2005, 09:33 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
Check out www.hirocks.com, i beleive it was $48 bucks for 30lbs of the good stuff with Shipping, that was actually cheaper than my LFS, cheaper then 2 bucks a pound. Shipping is hit or miss, i got mine within a couple of days, but a buddy of mine it took like two weeks, it really depends on how you pay.

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:17 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to amahler
Wow, it's been one of those evenings where you run all over town.

I picked up two 20 gallon long aquariums, a pair of heaters and a twelve pound piece of "reef bone" at my LFS. That's the piece of rock I plan to test and crack up to add to my sump (discussed a few posts back). I'll do the vinegar thing later and report back.

The two 20's are for the pair of QT tanks I've been discussing with everyone's help in this thread.

Next stop was Petsmart down the road where I snagged a pair of Marineland Penguin 200 Bio-Wheel HOB filter kits. They are rated for 200 GPH, so I figure I'll get decent circulation in these 20's. The box looked like it had one of those polyfilter/carbon inserts and a sponge insert. I got home and found out the sponge part is optional and not included (gggrrr), so I'll try to find some here at the house that is unused or go out (yet again) for that tomorrow. Dangit. I might just cut this one and empty out the carbon bits.

I also bought a 60 pound tub of Instant Ocean salt since I'm going through it pretty fast with my main and now the QTs.

I stopped by Lowes next and snagged a few 2" and 3" PVC fittings of various types to distribute between the tanks.

Last stop was Wal-Mart (gggrrrr again) to get a buttload of water. I've been buying their "Drinking Water" (RO/DI/Carbon/etc) water in 1 gallon jugs lately for my water changes while I work out a booster pump arrangement for my Kent RO unit. I set a new record by getting 42 jugs in one shopping cart and endured all the strange looks while I carefully steered several hundred pounds of water to the checkout lane.

My car was sitting a bit low in the back on the way home from this trip.

Anyway, I'm setting up the tanks now in a spare bathroom in the back of the house. I'll send some pictures later for those interested in seeing the festivities (if you want to call them that).

I'm about to mix up 22 or so gallons of water in my usual mixing trashcan to prepare it for tomorrow. I'll pull 20 gallons out of the main and put the new water in its place (effectively a water change for the main) and move the removed main water to the first QT tank. I'll repeat this process again later in the weekend to fill the second QT tank. I'll also throw as many bio-balls in the HOB filter as I can fit from my wet/dry.

I had a thought while I was out, though. Some years ago when I thought I might be getting back into saltwater I jumped on a deal on eBay and bought a Tidepool-2 BioWheel system (unused) from somebody. Got a great price on it. At the time, biowheels were still something of the rage. It's rated for 80 - 200 gallon tanks.

Needless to say, I never used it and it's still sitting in my attic in the box.

Anybody see any application for it in this QT setup? I'd think I could run both tanks off this thing rather easily with a little basic plumbing and a not too expensive pump. Too much trouble or stick with the HOBs I already bought? Just a thought...

I'll have some photos and questions later. The Cupramine should arrive tomorrow from Marinedepot so I can start the treatment process.

Thanks!
- Aaron

90G acrylic/22G sump/TF100A skimmer
90lbs (45 liverocks.com & ~45 donated 14+ year old Fiji)
Imperator, D. Saddle Butterfly, 2 Percula Clowns, Cleaner Shrimp and an army of Hermits that never sleep
amahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:04 AM   #63
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by amahler
Anybody see any application for it in this QT setup? I'd think I could run both tanks off this thing rather easily with a little basic plumbing and a not too expensive pump. Too much trouble or stick with the HOBs I already bought? Just a thought...
It could easily run both tanks but you would incur more cost (requires overflows) and it would become a QT only piece of equipement. Keep in mind running two tanks like this is hopefully a one time occurance. Given all future additions will be QT'd, you will only need to maintain one of these 20's, not both. If the cost of the overflows is cheaper than the HOB's (which I doubt), then mabye it's something to consider.

Cheers
Stve
Old 06-03-2005, 11:09 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was digging around in the box last night and one of the first things I pulled out was an overflow that comes with it.

Of course, that's just a single overflow unit and not two. Might possibly be worth using for the final single QT tank... but I don't know that I'd have that running all the time anyway since I won't be buying new livestock all the time (I hope).

In any case, do you have any predictions on roughly the amount of water I'll be needing to change out on these QTs? Likely daily? I'll be getting my RO unit online here in a few days so I can quit buying water at Wal-Mart.

Thanks!
- Aaron

Imperator, D. Saddle Butterfly, 2 Percula Clowns, Cleaner Shrimp and an army of Hermits that never sleep
Old 06-03-2005, 11:19 AM   #65
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by amahler
Might possibly be worth using for the final single QT tank... but I don't know that I'd have that running all the time anyway since I won't be buying new livestock all the time (I hope).
If you do end up using it, be sure it's on the tank with the angel and the other large fish. It would be the most beneficial.

Quote:
In any case, do you have any predictions on roughly the amount of water I'll be needing to change out on these QTs? Likely daily?
Definately daily, even 2x daily in the first week or two. It really depends on how well the bacteria adapt with the Cupramine treatment. It will greatly retard biological nitrification but will not eliminate it completely. Keep in mind that with this kind of a set up there is only aerobic nitrification being provided so nitrate and DOC will still be a large concern.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-03-2005, 05:35 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, the first QT is now in operation. Here's what I did:

- Took 20 gallons from the main to start the QT
- Placed as many bio-balls as I could fit from the main tank in the back of the HOB filter
- Put the first 2mL of Cupramine in the water (1 mL per 10.5 gallons)
- Adjusted the heater and let the whole system sit for an hour or more to monitor the temperature - seems stable but I'm checking constantly
- Put the new water I made last night into the main and got it fired back up

I took pictures of the setup to share:

http://sparhawk.sbc.edu/tank/quarantine

After a couple of hours, I embarked on the first fish catching spree. What a royal pain...

My tank is a 90 acrylic and has two decent sized openings in the top. This means you don't have a completely open top and there is a significant center divider to deal with. Mix in the rock work and you can imagine just how much fun this can be.

I got somewhat lucky on the Imperator after about ten or twelve minutes since he ducked into a little cave made up of a few rocks that are very easily moved. We call it the "garage" since it's where the cleaner shrimp (Jacques) has taken up residence and services visitors.

He came out the back again (only one way in and out) when I lifted off the roof and he happened to swim pretty much right into my clear plastic hang-on collection box (same kind they use in the fish stores). I was shocked I managed to get him.

The Scopas Tang was a great deal more difficult since he's much smaller and so fast that it seems like he teleports rather than swims. It took me a lot longer since he was more inclined to weave in and out of the rockwork. He finally got cornered and swam into the clear collection container as well. Frankly, I think I got lucky - it could have taken forever...

The little Scopas seems to be a bit more scared of his new environment. He's swimming fine, but for the ten minutes or so I watched him in the QT he just paddled in a small circle near the intake without really exploring yet. He's got lots of PVC to hide in. Hopefully he'll relax soon and do more exploring. The Imperator is roaming around in his usual slow way.

Tomorrow after 20 more gallons of water are ready, I'll repeat today's steps with the other QT and everybody will be completely moved.

Now begins the obnoxious process of watching the levels and temperature like a hawk...

I'll keep everybody posted and put up more pictures if there is anything interesting. Any suggestions or comments, please let'er'rip.

Thanks!
- Aaron

Old 06-03-2005, 06:30 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey aaron, glad to see things are coming along, and man do i want your camera . Anyway, you might want to pick up some eggcrate to cover your tanks, thats what i did, but i also have a cat and was afraid of him going in. I totally know the looks you get when your wheeling along 40 gallons of water in walmart.

Old 06-03-2005, 06:35 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pics of my QT with eggcrate top if your interested

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...108AaOGjdi4Ztq

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...108AaOGjdi4Ztq

Old 06-03-2005, 06:51 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Activist

Badfish - thanks for the suggestion. I think I might do that.

At the moment, the bathroom is closed and it's off a room in the house that is also closed (and usually remains so for the very reason of keeping the cat out).

He's sneaky, though, and two seconds with your back turned is all it takes for him to show up in any place he know's he not normally allowed. Our cat LOVES that which is taboo - he has a radar.

Right now I'm still fiddling with the heater. It's staying within a couple of degrees - but it's still in that fiddly stage where I don't trust it. I might have to go get some more expensive (dangit!) heaters with true thermostats like what I see in your pictures.

Thanks!
- Aaron

Old 06-03-2005, 07:24 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is a seaweed clip in the tank with the Angel and the Scopas (say two inches of seaweed) ok or too much for this size tank under these conditions?

Any advice on feeding would be much appreciated.

These are the two fish that usually murder the seaweed clip overnight.

Thanks!
- Aaron

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com