IT WORKED!!! :D (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RLG2182

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After some time now, I finally finished making my sump. Hooked it all up with some temporary tubing... turned it all on... and it worked!!!

At this point I just need to build the matching stand to my DIY canopy, hook up the return pump to semi-permanent pvc pipe, and install my loc-line return valves. :D Still have to pick up a couple maxijet 1200 PH, but that can wait till the LR comes in a month or so.

~~Rob

20L : $3 at yard sale
Mag 9.5: $50 ebay (new)
2 Amiracle overflow boxes: $20 ebay (total for both, new)
Euro-Reef ES5-2: $192 ebay (new)
Cut glass at glass shop: $3
100% silicon sealer: $4 HD
DIY canopy: $19 HD
Light fixture: free, had it already
Return line tubing: free with Mag 9.5
Overflow tubing: free with overflow boxes

Total setup for sump system & skimmer: $291 :!:
(Total w/o skimmer: $99)

Attachments

• picture_001_211.jpg
    picture_001_211.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 253
  • picture_002_224.jpg
    picture_002_224.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 324
  • picture_004_206.jpg
    picture_004_206.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 252
Congratulations!!!

Also congratulation on the fine canopy work! I still have to build one too.
:lol:

Err... Call me dummy or what, but what's with the red/pink fluorescent bulb??
8O
Inquisitive mind want's to know.

8)

It's just a regular daytime bulb that Penn-Plax makes. Dig cam made it look pink for some reason. :lol:

Only temporary till it comes time to add in some simple corals 6-8 months down the road. Then it'll be MH/PC retrofit all the way.

Well, the stand is finished. All I have to do is stain it to match my DIY canopy, and add two pull handles to match as well. Filled it with water with the final plumbing... and yep... it worked!! :D Just need to modify the overflows with standpipes and put in my Euro-Reef skimmer into its compartment... but other than that... it's running right now. Simulated a power shortage, and the sump or tank didn't overflow... couldn't have asked for a project to work out any better than this has.

My order from captivereefs.com for 2 MJ1200's and Coralife wavemaker should get here shortly... once those are there, the final cord maintenance will be finished.

I'll post the plans soon for anyone who's interested in building their own stand... total setup with canopy & stand cost under $100 in pine.

Attachments

• picture_001_115.jpg
    picture_001_115.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 137
  • picture_004_185.jpg
    picture_004_185.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 192
  • picture_005_123.jpg
    picture_005_123.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 101
final cord maintenance will be finished

Good. I saw that power strip on the floor in effect directly below the one overflow. I would suggest and your probably going to do this but I would suggest you mount the power strip inside the stand on the side and then implment 'drip loops' for all the electrical cords going into the outlet strip.

In addition I would suggest some how to secure the overflow drain lines. Looks like they are just drapped into the sump. That always worries me. U know it wouldnt be good to have one of those slip out. 8O

Heh... yeah... the power strip was moved a minute after I took the picture... not an issue. :D Same with the overflow tubes, those got tied down with metal U-brackets. Already have the drip line in plans for the cords... just need to get the power strip in the mail.

You know, I actually like the waterfall sound created from my return lines... I pointed them up so they ripple the surface of the water. (it's otherwise silent pointed down) Always a fan of the running water sound. :)

This is only a "dry" run with tap water to make sure everything works... actual setup will be done soon.

Will be doing a reef out of this 60... already have 60 pounds of rocks from www.hirocks.com and plan to get another 40 pounds of Fiji/Gulf from www.LR.com. 2" sand bed of Coralife Aragamax Oolitic sand, with maybe 2 clowns, 2-3 other small fish (NOT damsels), and a cleaning crew of snails/crabs. Once water stabilizes, I'll throw on some 4X65w PC or (2) 175/250 MH retrofit lights and go for some softies like bubble tip... don't care too much for clams, but would like to shoot for an anemone for my clowns a year or so down the line.

Need to pick up some LR rubble for the sump... but other than that, it's pretty much done. It's nice not having to worry about the size of tank I can put under the tank... with no front center brace, I can fit almost anything smaller than a 55 gal.

Back
Top Bottom