Itchy hands from fresh mixed salt/tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visionist

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now my tank is FOWLR so this isn't a problem with coral toxins, my hands seem to get a bit itchy after putting my hands in the tank or even when putting hands in freshly mixed water. I don't seem to get any bumps or anything but I do get some little red dots on my hand. I've never had an issue with real ocean water, I'm not sure if the salt mix is just irritating my hands since towards winter they start to get a bit dry and artificial salt mix I would assume is a bit harsher than ocean water? Does anyone else get this?

You can see some little red dots on my arm from holding my hand in freshly mixed salt water for about a minute.

Attachments

• arm.JPG
    arm.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 74
I work at a FS and this happens whenever i have to hand mix water if our mixer is out of order.. I feel this happens to certain people i belove its a minor allergy to some of the components in the salt mix. Theres a TON of chemicals in that stuff. Just rinse your hands realllllly well in fresh water before and after

I think some of the red dots are from the salt water getting into tiny little cuts that were already in some spots of my arm.

Back
Top Bottom