Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's coming....Metal Halides Fixture Question about Corals

I just ordered the 48" Aqualight Advanced, 2x150 (20k) MH fixture and wasnted to know if I was now able to place my 2 Maxima clams on the sand level and off of the rocks that they are now perched on?? Thanks

Old 05-10-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

How deep is the tank?Are you supplamenting the light with PC or VHO lighting?

Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

21" No Need to supplement they told me. I have 1W Lunar lights attached to my tank but thats it.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know alot of people recommend the 4-5 watts per gallon of light for a tank depending on the critters being kept. Clams are the most light craving that I know of. You still may want to supplament light during other parts of the day. LFS for what it's worth suggested to me 6 hours MH, 10-12 PC or VHO. Also make sure you acclimate the clams to the new lighting. They may go into shock if you just ramp the lights up. Try placing some screens over the lights and removing one per day. This will give the clams time to adjust to the higher intensity lighting.
Oscar Wilde
Old 05-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

All companies online that I have talked to also LFS and Forums suggest that this unit gives enough blue hue that there is no need for actinics. I have 250W PC now so with the MH it will be 300 so def more light. This is the best unit I have found. Can you explain how to allow the clams to adjust to the lighting. The companie said put MH on for 4hrs first day 6hr next, then eventually 10hrs per day.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have seen on other posts an idea for putting screens over the lights somehow. I guess where the track is for the glass. place 5-6 screens in there and remove one of the screens every day or two to increase the ammount of light that comes through. After 5-6 days there should be no more screens and the clams should be adappted to the increase in light.
Oscar Wilde
Old 05-10-2005, 06:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

i will do a search if you happen
Old 05-10-2005, 08:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
have seen on other posts an idea for putting screens over the lights somehow. I guess where the track is for the glass. place 5-6 screens in there and remove one of the screens every day or two to increase the ammount of light that comes through
That is what I would recommend doing over the period of a few weeks. Cover the tank top w/ layers of screen and remove a layer every few days. It is possible to acclimate your tank to the MH w/ a shorter photoperiod but that is very stressful, sometimes fatal, to corals, clams, etc. No matter how much you shorten the photoperiod, your still blasting the tank w/ a light intensity it is not used to. I went through this myself, I wouldn't do it that way again. Also, I would lower everything in the top half of the tank while light acclimating to be safe -JMO. Welcome to the brighter side 8) HTH
Old 05-10-2005, 08:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok Thanks for the info. So I should get window screening and cover the entire top of the tank with 6-7 layers. Then like every 3 days I will remove one layer until all layers are off. This shouldn't effect my corals all that I have that is high in the tank is a http://www.flickr.com/photos/59422509@N00/ take a look. I get the MH in 2 weeks. Is it also true that I should keep the lights on for 4hrs day 1 then a lil longer each day? Also I should have open water or egg crate correct instead of glass canopy? Did you take a look at the one I ordered.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://www.hellolights.com/aqadse.html this is the unit

Tags
coral, corals, fixture, metal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com