Its getting Hot!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ximat

Aquarium Advice Freak
The temp in my tank has been getting a lot warmer now that it is getting warmer outside. I don't have the $$ to invest in a chiller. Any other recomendations on getting my temp down?

I removed my glass tops and put a fan blowing across the tank. Heaters have been turned off. Don't know what else to do?!?!?

TIA

Have the fan blow across the water. This will increase evaporation and should easily lower the temp of the water 2-4 degrees. No need to turn your heaters off they have themostats and will cut off when they are not needed in addition you want to minimize the temp fluxuation and its possible the heaters will need to come on for a short period at night to keep the water from dropping to much.

Instead of putting ice cubes in the water you can float frozen water in jugs. This will keep from lowering your salinty by diluting the tank. If you dont have corals you can shorten your photo period

how long do you have your light on, because i was have the same problem because they(lfs) said that i leave my light on for too long so they sugguest to lower the hours of service with the light and to use timer on power head instead of having all of them turn on at once, i was able to lower my temp in my tank for 2 - 3 degrees so i hope this will help

Fishfreek said it right. having the fan blowing across your lights only helps in cooling your lights. Fans blowing across the water surface will make a difference.

I tried using the ice cubes in a ziploc bag (small tank) and all I can really say is that the ice melts darn fast and I didn't feel like going back and forth for more ice. Using ice is only a very short temp fix.

My light is on a timer 8am to 10pm.

Last night I added the fan, and removed the glas cover. Today when I got home at 1900 the tank was 77.5!

I added another fan on the other side of the tank blowing across it as well. Hopefully those will help keep the temp down. The heaters are still plugged in, so if it gets too cold it will keep the tank at 78.

fuvibo is right having your powerheads cycle will help to lower the temp because they are cooled by the tanks water. Having fewer running means less heat added to tank.
You need a really big ice cube, Try freezing a gallon jug of water then floating that.

I've been thinking about putting my powerheads on timers. Walmart sells a decent digital timer for 20 bucks that lets you have 5 different programs. I might invest in another one..

14 hours is a very long photo period. What is in your tank and how big is it? Just wondering is all.

its a 75 gallon tank.

4 fish, sone Xenia and a few mushrooms.

Today at 1945 the temp was 77.5.

Fans directed at the water surface will go a long way. 75 gallons should help you...there's stability there once you get the temperature down. I find a single fan on my 40gal keeps things under control

...but watch your evaporation, it will increase dramatically.

I am pretty sure 10 hours (Well that is what I have been told) of lights on a day is good, 14 hours is a long time. The Temperature in my tank is also 78-80 normally, that is what I keep the heat at. So I don't think that your tank is too warm.

...but watch your evaporation, it will increase dramatically.

I've noticed :) Im going to have to get an RO/DI unit setup a lot sooner than I had anticipated. Think i've dropped in a bout 4g of watter in the last three days.

Back
Top Bottom