It's Playsand season. Shout out when you find some!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PatM said:
Yeah whats the deal, I'm starting a 125 gal. soon and want to pick some up. Is it going to be discontinued or what? They had it at HD by me when I got it last year, should I stock up?

if you need some, there are some bags at the home depot in Carol Stream, IL. I was just there on friday, and they had 14 bags left. Im thinking of picking up some more just to have.

~Mike

FYI, to all Mass. AA members,

Just visted Home Depot in Reading, MA - was told there are no bags in any of the eastern MA stores, but that all MA stores should be receiving their seasonal shipment of Southdown Tropical Play Sand within 2 weeks.

- SP

I'm in New Orleans and I've searched the HD's and Lowes stores here and have had no luck. I broke down and bought some quickrete silica playsand because I don't have the money for Caribsea and needed to get my new cichlid tank up and running. I'd love to know if I could get Southdown shipped here or find out if it's available anywhere from here to Houston.

Hey poppab02 - if you find any, I am about 45 minutes from Nola and would be willing to drive.... I am just wondering if our Baton Rouge/New Orleans area will ever get it (as everyone else does during "seasonal" times).

For anybody in (Eastern) Iowa I just picked some up at the Dubuque Menards. I asked someone in "building supply" and also confirmed it by mixing some with vinegar. It's their play sand by "CW & T" in Storm Lake, IA.

Last day of Feb and still nothing in any MA stores that I contacted today.

Anyone have any luck in New England? NH? MA?

If you live more than 100 miles from Florida, you probably will not see this sand in your local market.

According to an article on Marcona Ocean Industries:
"The maximum transport distance for [aragonite sand] to be competitive with traditional onshore sources [silica sand] is about 150 km. Silica sand and carbonate aggregates have a higher unit value and can be transported farther distances."

Obviously Home Depot has shipping methods that extend this distance somewhat, but simple economics limits how far the sand can travel from Florida.

if anyone finds any in the Albany, NY area please PM me. I am waiting to start my aquarium. THanks.

Southdown found FINALLY in Mass! Plenty of Old Castle/Southdown tropical sand at Russell's Garden (Something) in Wayland, MA. A member of a boston reef forum found it and apparently its flying off the shelves. The guy at Russell's said "For aquarium sand, right? We're selling tons of this stuff every day." When I asked if they would get more in he said that this is the last that Old Castle will be packaging. Take it for what its worth but he seems to think some new laws against taking the sand from the Caribbean is forcing Old Castle to discontinue the tropical playsand.

- Skins

If anyone finds any in Charleston, SC- Please PM me. I just looked on March 15th at the Home Depot in West Ashley, and they had none.

Back
Top Bottom