Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-12-2005, 10:52 PM   #181
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When you cure it, do you add some live sand from your tank to get it cooking?

COLCORAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:26 AM   #182
AA Team Emeritus

That would start it or you could use a cocktail shrimp. You just need to get the cycle started, then feed it. A cocktail shrimp will do both. LS will get it started but you'll need to feed it some too so for the ammonia production. Read the article inteh Articles section (from the home page).

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:37 AM   #183
Aquarium Advice FINatic
A method for curing Dry sand can be found here...
click on "Educational Resources" and then "Curing Dry Aragonite Sand"
Just an option... Hope this helps
75 gal
4x65w PC
AquaC Remora Pro
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:12 PM   #184
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to sdveirs Send a message via MSN to sdveirs Send a message via Yahoo to sdveirs
Is this really such a hot topic? For it to be a "sticky" you would think that it is something hard to come by. Is play sand hard to find?
29 gallon bow front - Just plants, currently cycling.

10 Gallon w/ 1 male betta and alge eater (not sure what kind), looking for something to add with the betta.

Scott's Blog
sdveirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 11:50 PM   #185
AA Team Emeritus

Is play sand hard to find?
No, but Tropical (read aragonite) play sand is. CaribSea sells bags of aragonite sand that the lfs charges $20+ per bag. Tropical play sand is the same sand and selss for less than $6.00 per bag. It is usually found at Home Depot stores on the East coast.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 06:19 AM   #186
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here in NY, I'm told it's due at Home Depots in the spring. In the meantime, as a new hobbyist, I can't wait, so I'm biting the bullet on a small tank (30 gal) and ordering 100% live sand (I orignally wanted to mix the two and let the live live sand seed the dead sand to save a few $$)

When it arrives, I'll stock up, since I'll probably want to upgrade once I get the hang of things.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:50 AM   #187
AA Team Emeritus
ouch! big bucks midiman!

Deffinetly grab a couple bags whenever you see it. I've got two extras sitting at home... just in case
Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:26 PM   #188
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
allot of the lfs sell other types of substrate as well like crushed coral.
I went to the local feed and grain store and they have food grade lime sand (grey in color) good for dsb in sumps...oyster shell poultry grit size 1mm-2mm the bag said it contained coral and oyster shell. you may try these places for your needs.
bigsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:10 PM   #189
Aquarium Advice Activist
First off - I did a TON of research on all of the companies that carried this carib sea sister product. Yardright was bought out by OldCastle which was sold to Home Depot and a few Lowes on the East coast (no further south really than the Carolinas) during seasonal times (summer and spring). It seems that everything that is left, if any, is leftover stock.

If you do a whois on the domain name yardright.com, a lot of the contact emails contain oldcastleapg.com addresses. I contacted via phone every number that was listed at the registry whois and a woman answered at one of the numbers and I told her I was looking for the tropical playsand that they manufactured for Home Depots and she said that their company (YardRight) is no longer able to get it and they do not know when it will be available. What I don't get is that they still have the really nice bag advertised on their website - is this to tease us fish-geeks? lol

I then commenced to going to my local Home Depot and asking for the sku number that was listed in this forum. He (in Baton Rouge) searched all the way to New Orleans and stated that they didnt show that as a local market sku. I got him to search all the way to South Carolina in hopes that he was nice enough if found, to get me some shipped. No luck - none in the Carolina stores BUT he did show it in the Eastern seaboard as a valid SKU - only marked as "DELETE". He said what that probably meant is that it was marked for clearing in their inventory because they could not get any more of it. SO, back home I went.

I then did a search online and found a few local chains of hardware stores in the VA and PA area that showed it in stock. One was like Russells sp? garden center (we dont have those here) and talked to a manager. Thats when he told me that he didn't have any in stock and he heard that they manafacturer hit a bump in getting it and that he had some ordered for the spring but didn't know how that would go. I also see that OldCastle AND Yardright has other branches of the companies - other raw materials and cement products, etc. I guess the source really is dried up or whatever. SO, if anyone here knows that their local Home Depot or whatever is still getting this stuff or has a pallet or so left, please let us know what store exactly.... we may just find a local manager that could request it get shipped

Also - I think some of the people that say they have found it here are really talking about quickrete and other products. Reason being is that I liked to messed my pants when I saw someone post for Louisiana that the Harrahan New Orleans HD had it but after a PM found that it was silica based Quickrete playsand - thank God for the clarification because I was almost out the door Does anyone know if like Ace Hardware or any other place that will carry it? Surely I find it hard to believe that HD and Lowes were the only ones to carry this. What makes me furious is I'm about to spend over 200.00 on sand that I could pay like 20.00 for and knowing that there is a place like 30 miles from me that probably has a few bags still in their warehouse and I will never know

Anyways - enough of my rambling... if anyone has any comments or needs any additional information, don't hesitate to ask!
liquidreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:12 PM   #190
Aquarium Advice Regular
I checked 3-4 HD around my area and no luck. The last one I tried had tons of it. and this is in the middle of winter. If anyone lives near Morrestown, NJ there's plenty there.

I guess you just have to keep looking and get lucky.

DeNero1331 is offline   Reply With Quote

playsand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com