Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2005, 09:48 PM   #221
Aquarium Advice Freak

looking for it in pgh. went to home depot and they have a new play sand called dessert sand.

any one find let me know

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:13 PM   #222
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
Had someone at the local HD check on this. They said that most of the stores in the area used to carry it. But aren't right now. Hopefully they will get some more in. I can't find this stuff anywhere.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:06 PM   #223
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to thelovablebum Send a message via MSN to thelovablebum Send a message via Yahoo to thelovablebum
Went to homedepot and lowes the other day in Rockford and found a dark sand from HD i think is was called "Chicago's play sand" or something, and lowes had quikrete play sand but they where out when i got there. Ill try to make it out to the other stores in the area to check them sometime.

Im think the quikrete sand is silica and for the chicago stuff does anyone know if that is safe because i might just get one of thos for now if i cant find anything else.

And is there anyone else that has found sand in the Rockford, IL area.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:56 PM   #224
Aquarium Advice Addict

The lowe's in my area also has that Quikrete sand, but I don't think that is good!

I have called HD, and they say they never heard of Yard Right, Southdown, or Old Castle play sand. Obviously there is no where on the Net to order this stuff, I contacted Yard Right for dealers in my area and they have not returned the call!!!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:25 PM   #225
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
What was the number for yardright?

I will give them a call also.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:14 AM   #226
Aquarium Advice Addict

What you have to do is go to www.yardright.com and click on the "contact us" link, it will give you a form to fill out and send to them via email!! I left my phone and email info 3 days ago and have yet to hear a word from them.

I would really like to see if we could somehow get a group type order thing and maybe get a REALLY good price on a pallet. I would be in for about 80lbs of it!

Keep us posted if you hear anything and I will do the same.

Jermz

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:42 AM   #227
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to thelovablebum Send a message via MSN to thelovablebum Send a message via Yahoo to thelovablebum
Well i found some sand!!

i went to the new walmart and i found two types of sand. One was "Garden Basic Play Sand" which was another kinda dark sand and they also had a sand called "Gulf Coast White Beach Sand" . Has anyone heard of them before. I tested it with vinegar and it fizzed a bit so i guess its the right sand right.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:41 AM   #228
Aquarium Advice Freak

im sure thats it. there are two types of play sand, the beach sand stuff and the stuff that comes from a sandstone quarry (used for concrete). the quarry stuff is said to possibly cause cancer??? so the "experts" recomend the tropical play sand or beach sand.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:21 AM   #229
Aquarium Advice Activist

For some reason, the play sand that I bought is gross looking (i used it in my old sump's fuge, before I upgraded to the 20g I have now. Hmmm... but white sand... I think I just had some 'play sand'

I'll have too keep my eye out for old castle sand....
Old 05-01-2005, 07:51 PM   #230
Aquarium Advice Activist

Anyone in the DC/MD/NoVA area know where I can find this, please PM me. I've not had any luck at my local HD and Loews. Thanks!

Heatware 164-0-0
bzbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
playsand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com