Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2005, 01:57 AM   #231
Aquarium Advice Activist

If anyone in the Milwaukee WI area has found any please PM me, I too have had no luck finding any. I have been to multiple Home Depots, menards, wal-marts, seins NO LUCK... I am dissapointed, well I hope someone can help me out here.

Also if anyone near wisconsin has found some and wouldnt mind shipping a bag, you can send it through usps in a pre paid package for 7.70 and I would pay that and the bag of sand for multiple bags most likely with a couple dollars for the sender of course.

thanks
Max

Old 05-02-2005, 04:53 PM   #232
Aquarium Advice Freak

im told that hd in pgh now is stocking the tropical play sand. on sale for two dollers per bag. havnt check it myself though.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:10 PM   #233
Aquarium Advice Activist

Has anyone found any place to buy it online?!?!

I really want to increase my sand beds depth, if anyone is willing to buy a few more bags and ship it I will of course pay for it.

PM me if you are interested PLEASE!
Old 05-03-2005, 04:23 PM   #234
Aquarium Advice Addict

No where yet. I have searched and seached and searched and I resorted to premiumaquatics.com ........ check em' out, they have some real good prices.

I was actually surprised ... I ordered 40lbs of carib-sea for 24.95, well they were out of 40lb bags so they swapped it for 3 15lb bags .... awesome! and then I ordered 20lbs of aragalive to give me a total of 65lbs!!! I ended up ordering $200 worth of stuff from them!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:37 PM   #235
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was just at a local Wal-Mart, where I found Old Castle sand- unfortunately "Multi-Purpose Playsand". But right next to it was this stuff called Garden Basics Playsand. Very white and fine, esp. compared to the Old Castle. Says "Screened and sterilized" on the bag, I believe it comes from Arkansas.

I bought a couple bags of each, and put the sand in a glass along with some cider vinegar (don't have white vinegar so that may invalidate this test). The Oldcastle sand went in and no sounds, just sat there. The Garden Basics sand, however, snap-crackle-and pop, it is in fact still sizzling a bit. The sand is still there-maybe some of it disolved, not sure...but is the test for a "good non-silica" sand if it crackles in vinegar, or does it actually need to dissolve?
Old 05-10-2005, 08:34 AM   #236
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anyone in northeastern Massachusetts find any? Or southeastern N.H. for that matter? I haven't had any luck anywhere.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:16 PM   #237
Aquarium Advice Activist

only stuff i found at home depot by me- sakrete- premium grade play sand. Im doubting this is what i need. I live in FL too! urggggg

UPDATE- 2 local home depots, and 1 lowes. Nada

I got all happy seeing this thread, but looks like ill be payin the big bucks for my sand. and i live in FL!
Old 05-23-2005, 08:08 PM   #238
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New Find:

Danvers, Massachusetts, Home Depot: "White Play Sand" by Durascape, a part of Old Castle Stone products. This is beautiful pure white sand, the only statement about content says "small amounts of silica". Now we don't know what there are "large amounts of" so I took some home and did the vinegar test, and lo and behold, FIZZZZZ! Lots of bubbles, so this is limestone-based sand. I'm willing to give it a try.

Cost: $3.99 for a bag which states "covers 5 sq. ft. to a depth of one inch". Five square feet is almost exactly the measurement of a 48 x 18 base tank (like my 75 g.) No weight on bag, by my bathroom scale it's 47.5 pounds. !!!

Good stuff?
Old 05-24-2005, 04:48 PM   #239
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to casper3t
i found play sand but i have no idea if i could use it, there quikrete play sand, and orange county sand. is there anyone in southern california that found play sand?
Old 05-27-2005, 01:10 PM   #240
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I also have been searching for sand. anyone have thoughts on the garden basic play sand at walmart? I also heard ace hardware might have some.
guess thats my next search.

Tags
playsand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com