Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2004, 05:34 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use the cool black tahitian moon sand from super naturals and it is gret!!!! It is a black sand and I love it, but the only thing that is a turnoff is that if u place your ph facing the sand, it will create a crater, so Ive learned not to place the ph at the sand

Old 04-20-2004, 03:46 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Shandoni Send a message via MSN to Shandoni Send a message via Yahoo to Shandoni
Your all kidding correct? Play sand also used in your tanks? I have LS in mine, not so sure Id dare add play sand to my tank... lol if this is true.. please enlighten me and give me the excellent Education Im geting as I browse around this site... Its been Excellent.. TY!

Old 04-20-2004, 03:57 PM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

Shandoni, LS is nothing more than dry sand that has become colonized by bacteria and other sand dwelling life forms. Rather than paying $$$ per pound for enough LS to create your entire DSB, you can simply spend a few dollars for a 50 pound bag (or two or three ) of this specific play sand (it's argonite sand which comes from the ocean floor) and then put just a few pounds of LS on top of that and the rest of the sand will become LS quite quickly. Basicaly, using play sand lets you save big bucks
Old 04-20-2004, 05:12 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

is old castle the only type or can redi mix play sand be used??
Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 11:03 PM   #25

HD in Wausau, Wisconsin has some SD playsand.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:11 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Shandoni Send a message via MSN to Shandoni Send a message via Yahoo to Shandoni
Wow Ty Billy... seems I bought a bunch but Ill tell my brother as hes getting ready to purchse it .... Thank you!
Old 04-21-2004, 12:33 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Myty1705: I'm not familiar with the RediMix sand, but it is likely a Silica based sand. These can be used without harm to your tank, BUT, they won't have the Ph buffering ability that an argonite based sand will and the silica sand has sharper edges which are not hospitible to some of the tiny life forms that live in DSBs. So while it will work, and will provide you with the bacteria for natural ammonia filtration, you would be better of if you use an argonite based sand. One way to test the sand is to take a small scoop full and drop some household vineger into it. If it bubbles and foams it is agronite based sand. If not, it is likely silica.

HTH
Old 04-21-2004, 01:03 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

I dropped some into the vinegar and it bubbled for 30-45 min. but no foam. I have places a 50 lb bag into my tank and topped that of with a 15 lb bag or aragonite sand. Will that suffice for the ph? I hope for my fishes sake it will. I checked the ph and it was at around 7.9. The water around here is notoriously hard, will that affect the ph as well? t.i.a.
Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:17 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ostrichkiller Send a message via MSN to ostrichkiller
the value in alden new york is a franchice and just got in a full pallet of the stuff. i don't due SW but after reading alot of different threads here about the stuff i got some for my crab tank and those guys love it.

1 30 gal fiddler crab tank... 4 fiddler crabs and sand and plants
ostrichkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 12:33 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I attempted to get some southdown this weekend from the Home Depots in Northern Va and had no luck. I did however learn that the staff at HD don't get upset if you bring your dog with you

Tags
playsand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com