Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2004, 03:50 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mrrrkva
I FOUND SOME!!!!!!!! Winchester, VA. Getting some tonight!! Hopefully they know what they are talking about!! She said she put her eyes on it! Old castle. U guys sure this is the old SOUTH DOWN??

http://community.webshots.com/user/catfish6661
mrrrkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 03:52 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stealing the link from another thread here. Here are the PICS of it if you need them

http://www.crabstreetjournal.com/pro...lplaysand.html

Old 05-03-2004, 04:07 PM   #43
AA Team Emeritus

the pictures are what you're looking for. Be forewarned, the bag WILL SAY something along the lines of "NOT recommended for Aquarium or ________ Use" don't let the scare you. The manufacturer is contractually obligated to put it there. It won't cause any harm to your tank.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:09 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Groovy Billy. You da heat!
Old 05-03-2004, 04:40 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just got the word from someone else that OLD Castle is alot more brown. Do you guys know if there is anything to this?

Old 05-03-2004, 10:13 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Aceshigh
The Elk Grove store is right where I live. ****, what luck.
I Juuuuuust moved my tank 2 days ago to my new house.
I ditched all my sand completely because it was a lil nasty.
I am in desperate need of new sand and lo and behold I check the
good ol forums and sweeeeeet!!!

Anyone know if leaving my tank with no sand at all for a few days is bad for my fish. I have a few books but I don't see it being bad in any of them. I'm just worried though because I did a 50% water change, and no sand yet, and my fish are all breathing heavy it seems. Anything I really need to know here ??

Should I check certain levels ?? I'm going to check everything again tonight.....after I pick up 5 bags of sand. Even the HD guy I talked to was a hobbyist and he didn't know this either. He kept buying Live Sand at those high rates. Thanks alot all.
2 Clarkii clownfish - Med
1 Hawaiian Yellow Tang - Med
1 Blue Surgeon (Daury) - Med
1 Diamond Back Goby - Med
1 Cleaner Shrimp - Med
1 Sea Leather - 6 inches diameter when open
2 Bubble tipped anemone - Med
1 Sea Apple
Aceshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:04 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Anyone know if leaving my tank with no sand at all for a few days is bad for my fish.
No, as a matter of fact some people have "bare bottoms" for their tanks.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 01:12 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What about this sand?

I found this on Yahoo
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/safesand/ornatplaysan.html Does anyone have any experience with this "Silica Free" sand? It's 50 bucks shipped. No dice for HD or Lowes out here in Colorado for finding some good deals.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:03 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Yeah I went to my local home depot. they do have real sand there but it is a very dark brown. I will probibly have to go to my local fish store to get the beautiful light stuff. Good thing I only have a 37 gallon tank!
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:37 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Activist

Once you've seen the calcium carbonate sand the difference is obvious. silica sand is 'sharp edged' and has the a crystal or diamond like appearence. You'll notice it reflect light as you roll it around in your hand. The calcium based sand I think comes from finely crushed seashells... just a guess though. But when you look at it it 'looks' softer that silica sand. It has a chalky feel to it.

"Silicate free" means nothing. "Silicates" are toxic to humans and there used to be a problem with them like there was with asbestose. You'd inhale them and over time get sick. So people that sell sand like to put that on the lable so you know what you're getting isn't toxic.

I've read several articals about it written by marine biologists and they all said that there was little to no benifit in using Calcium carbonate sand. But they admitted that the small crustaitions living in the sand may benifit due to the lack of sharp edges in the calcium based sand. There is a myth that the silica sand leaches silicate into your tank water. But the glass your tank is made out of is nearly 100% silica... if leaching were a problem the sand would be the least of your worries.

I use calcium based because it's a hell of a lot cooler looking than regular sand.

I've also read an artical that said that you can colonise Dead sand with live rocks, but you wouldn't get the bio-diversity that seeding it with true live sand would. Basically, there are some animals that live in Live sand, some that live in live rock, and some that live in both sand and rock. If you seed the sand with live rock you'll only have the kind that live in both live rock and live sand. The creatures that only live in the sand wouldn't come from the rock. But I only read that in 1 artical and haven't seen it confirmed elsewhere.

Personally, I got some of that "Agra-alive" stuff and live rock. Despite the agra-alive sand being questionable, it worked well. I have so many little critters running around its nuts. The sand practically undulates with life.

By the way, if you bring a cute girl over to your house, don't point this out to her. Trust me, cute girls do not appretiate bio-diversity and all the cutesy baybe talk she was directing twords "little Nemo" soon vanishes. I learned the hard way. (I really should call her...)

Tags
playsand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com