It's Playsand season. Shout out when you find some!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our reef club has a guy selling what looks to be 50# bags of southdown for $12.00 Too bad I just spent $30.00 for 32# of aragamax... bleh

Quite likely. Just like Nike sells hundreds of different kinds of shoes, some for running, some for walking some for super-uber-jumping in basketball etc. Very different shoes... but all "shoes". The same goes for Old Castle. They sell a number of different kinds of sand but the ONLY kind you want is their "Tropical Play Sand". Someone here just posted a pic of it,

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/download.php?id=7301

thats what you're looking for. :D

Hey, my HD sells Old Catsle PAVERS Sand. Is this any different?
Fishstix. I have exhausted all sources in So. California. HD says they cannot and will not distribute the "Old Castle tropical" to a California store. Won't even transfer. If you find some "Rebel" please let me know. Us fellow Californian Aquariasts are in desperate need. I need 150-200lbs if you find some.

I have exhausted every source up here in bakersfield.
Unfortunately, most of the people I have talked to dont have a clue as to what Im even talking about. Even when I call saltwater aquarium supply stores they have no clue. One place out in ridgecrest said they have pooka(sp?) and coral and thats it.

Well I have checked every HD and Lowes within 50 miles, no dice but...
One of my lfs just got in #25 of argonite sand for $12 each. I'm going for it.

I don't know if this will help anyone but I found a palet full of the 50# southdown sand at a Home Depot at:
1580 W Lane Road
Machesney Park, IL 61115

It was only like $6 a bag and is the correct kind. This was about 2 weeks ago so sorry if they ran out but they had 50+ bags then.

Anyone know any places near York, PA 17402 that carry it. I was surprised that I couldn't find it since the company that makes it is located in PA. I have already checked HD, Lowe's and Walmart in the 17402 area.

The place that makes it, OldCastle is in Thomasville about 15mins from my house, I might check them out and see if I can just get a couple of bags there.

Try this store:

Home Depot
Lower Paxton
5101 Jonestown Rd
Harrisburg, PA 17112
(717)651-9699

I picked some up earlier this year there.

Found some, 5bucks a bag. There were 6 skids of it, so if anyone needs/wants it lemme know. Is this stuff safe for a freshwater tank? Also should the sand be rinsed? It was sitting outside in the lawn and garden department and its damp from the rain, i'll probably give it a good rinse just too make sure.

Some rinse, and some do not. I believe it is just what you prefer.

Rinsing may remove some of the more fine sand particles, but it will also keep the cloudiness down. HTH! :wink:

hmm It might be getting alittle late in the season, lots of stores are probably starting to run dry. Keep looking, you never know, and try asking the folks at your HD/lowes, they may be willing to ship it from another location to your store.

I believe that the Rev was saying that if it is legal to collect the sand, then you should collect it form as far out from the shoreline as is feasible. The purpose is to collect clean sand that hasn't been exposed to pollutants. The waves act as a giant protein skimmer and all the gunk gets deposited on the beach. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!

Back
Top Bottom