It's Playsand season. Shout out when you find some!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
looking for it in pgh. went to home depot and they have a new play sand called dessert sand.

any one find let me know

Had someone at the local HD check on this. They said that most of the stores in the area used to carry it. But aren't right now. Hopefully they will get some more in. I can't find this stuff anywhere.

Went to homedepot and lowes the other day in Rockford and found a dark sand from HD i think is was called "Chicago's play sand" or something, and lowes had quikrete play sand but they where out when i got there. Ill try to make it out to the other stores in the area to check them sometime.

Im think the quikrete sand is silica and for the chicago stuff does anyone know if that is safe because i might just get one of thos for now if i cant find anything else.

And is there anyone else that has found sand in the Rockford, IL area.

The lowe's in my area also has that Quikrete sand, but I don't think that is good!

I have called HD, and they say they never heard of Yard Right, Southdown, or Old Castle play sand. Obviously there is no where on the Net to order this stuff, I contacted Yard Right for dealers in my area and they have not returned the call!!!

What you have to do is go to www.yardright.com and click on the "contact us" link, it will give you a form to fill out and send to them via email!! I left my phone and email info 3 days ago and have yet to hear a word from them.

I would really like to see if we could somehow get a group type order thing and maybe get a REALLY good price on a pallet. I would be in for about 80lbs of it!

Keep us posted if you hear anything and I will do the same.

Jermz

Well i found some sand!!

i went to the new walmart and i found two types of sand. One was "Garden Basic Play Sand" which was another kinda dark sand and they also had a sand called "Gulf Coast White Beach Sand" :D . Has anyone heard of them before. I tested it with vinegar and it fizzed a bit :D so i guess its the right sand right.

im sure thats it. there are two types of play sand, the beach sand stuff and the stuff that comes from a sandstone quarry (used for concrete). the quarry stuff is said to possibly cause cancer??? so the "experts" recomend the tropical play sand or beach sand.

For some reason, the play sand that I bought is gross looking (i used it in my old sump's fuge, before I upgraded to the 20g I have now. Hmmm... but white sand... I think I just had some 'play sand'

I'll have too keep my eye out for old castle sand....

Anyone in the DC/MD/NoVA area know where I can find this, please PM me. I've not had any luck at my local HD and Loews. Thanks!

If anyone in the Milwaukee WI area has found any please PM me, I too have had no luck finding any. I have been to multiple Home Depots, menards, wal-marts, seins NO LUCK... I am dissapointed, well I hope someone can help me out here.

Also if anyone near wisconsin has found some and wouldnt mind shipping a bag, you can send it through usps in a pre paid package for 7.70 and I would pay that and the bag of sand for multiple bags most likely with a couple dollars for the sender of course.

thanks
Max

im told that hd in pgh now is stocking the tropical play sand. on sale for two dollers per bag. havnt check it myself though.

Has anyone found any place to buy it online?!?!

I really want to increase my sand beds depth, if anyone is willing to buy a few more bags and ship it I will of course pay for it.

PM me if you are interested PLEASE!

No where yet. I have searched and seached and searched and I resorted to premiumaquatics.com ........ check em' out, they have some real good prices.

I was actually surprised ... I ordered 40lbs of carib-sea for 24.95, well they were out of 40lb bags so they swapped it for 3 15lb bags .... awesome! and then I ordered 20lbs of aragalive to give me a total of 65lbs!!! I ended up ordering $200 worth of stuff from them!

I was just at a local Wal-Mart, where I found Old Castle sand- unfortunately "Multi-Purpose Playsand". But right next to it was this stuff called Garden Basics Playsand. Very white and fine, esp. compared to the Old Castle. Says "Screened and sterilized" on the bag, I believe it comes from Arkansas.

I bought a couple bags of each, and put the sand in a glass along with some cider vinegar (don't have white vinegar so that may invalidate this test). The Oldcastle sand went in and no sounds, just sat there. The Garden Basics sand, however, snap-crackle-and pop, it is in fact still sizzling a bit. The sand is still there-maybe some of it disolved, not sure...but is the test for a "good non-silica" sand if it crackles in vinegar, or does it actually need to dissolve?

only stuff i found at home depot by me- sakrete- premium grade play sand. Im doubting this is what i need. I live in FL too! urggggg

UPDATE- 2 local home depots, and 1 lowes. Nada :(

I got all happy seeing this thread, but looks like ill be payin the big bucks for my sand. and i live in FL!

New Find:

Danvers, Massachusetts, Home Depot: "White Play Sand" by Durascape, a part of Old Castle Stone products. This is beautiful pure white sand, the only statement about content says "small amounts of silica". Now we don't know what there are "large amounts of" so I took some home and did the vinegar test, and lo and behold, FIZZZZZ! Lots of bubbles, so this is limestone-based sand. I'm willing to give it a try.

Cost: $3.99 for a bag which states "covers 5 sq. ft. to a depth of one inch". Five square feet is almost exactly the measurement of a 48 x 18 base tank (like my 75 g.) No weight on bag, by my bathroom scale it's 47.5 pounds. !!!

Good stuff? :D

i found play sand but i have no idea if i could use it, there quikrete play sand, and orange county sand. is there anyone in southern california that found play sand?

I also have been searching for sand. anyone have thoughts on the garden basic play sand at walmart? I also heard ace hardware might have some.
guess thats my next search.

Back
Top Bottom