It's Playsand season. Shout out when you find some!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey I got lucky and found 10 50#bags of southdown at Home Depot in Huntsville Al on N memorial prkwy and bought them all for 2.99$ per bag they said they were willing to special order it in for you just goto the contractors desk.

I think that I saw a Phoenix question a few pages ago. I just bought 300lbs of "Play Sand" at Home Depot (I've seen the exact same stuff in several stores). The one I went to had 3 pallets of it in the shelving and the store employee said they get a few pallets in each week. There doesn't seem to be any shortage. I did the vinegar test, it bubbled. The sand bag doesn't say anything about slica on it. It was $4.95 / bag. The bag is white, the sand is white.

recently bought 6x 50 lb bags from Toy's-R-Us $5 each. Has a white castle on the front of it didn't bubble with vinegar.

Quick question. I just read through about 8 pages and didn't find my answer. Does this have any benefit or detriment for use in a FW setup? Thanks.

justin

It depends on what kind of freshwater fish you plan to keep. For example, it would be great in an African Rift Lake Cichlid tank because their pH is naturally that high. You would not want to use it for fish that come from places such as the Rio Negro where the pH can be as low as 3-4. They would probably die instantly.

I Found some aggregate sand at my local Home Depot. The brand is Pavestone "High desert sand". I actually called the manufacture to make sure it was pure and they informed me that it is 100% aggregate with no silica. I paid roughly $5 per bag. I think they are 50lbs each but not sure (they arnt labeled with weight)

Ill do a viniger test later tonight to make sure they where not lieing :)

Found this at Home Depot

Kolor Scape White Play Sand

Distributed by
Old Castle retail inc.
8201 Arrow Ridge Blvd.
Charlotte, South Carolina

Says on bag do not use for aquarium
This is obviously the wrong stuff, isnt it?

divemasterjim said:
Found this at Home Depot

Kolor Scape White Play Sand

Distributed by
Old Castle retail inc.
8201 Arrow Ridge Blvd.
Charlotte, South Carolina

Says on bag do not use for aquarium
This is obviously the wrong stuff, isnt it?

no, thats the right stuff or it will work. I used Kolor Scape White Play Sand from HD in my 180 gal, blue on bag right?. Mines not that fine course.. Just rinse the heck out of it. It will be cloudy for a couple days or even after rising it.

divemasterjim said:
It is not the right stuff!
It is a silica based sand, saays so on the bag
Nothing happened when I put it in vinegar
hmm, must not be the same stuff as I have then. Mine fizzed w/ vinegar (very little). Mine also says the silica warning. still can be used though. Just becasue it doesn't fizz with vinegar, doesn't mean you can't use it, just not going to benifit as much as you would with the aragonite sand.

According to your logic you could use any sand

You should have told me about the silica warning before you said it was the right stuff

Anyone seen any that is acceptable at your local HD? Barcode or UPC # maybe? I'll keep checking mine (West Coast) and publish what I find. Last round I tested turned up nothing. People did look at me like I was nuts shooting a dropper of vinegar into a pile of sand on the floor. LOL

divemasterjim said:
You should have told me about the silica warning before you said it was the right stuff
hmm? the stuff I used and many others has the silica warning and it is the right stuff. so I'm a little confused with your post?

I've seen Old Castle sand springing up everywhere in Rochester, NY this spring. Both Wal-Mart and Home Depot had Kolorscape White Play sand. A friend picked some up for decorative purposes, and it fizzes in vinegar like the real thing.

I'm a long ways off from building a saltwater tank, but I'm tempted to buy some and put it by since it seems to come and go.

When adding Vinegar, should it be white or red vinegar? Also, how much does it "fizzle/foame"?

Thanks

We usually use white. The point is that it's acidic. Pool acid, or any other acid you have should do the same thing. It won't fizzle a ton in vinegar, but you'll see bubbles rising up as a result of the reaction. A stronger acid will make it fizz stronger.

Back
Top Bottom