It's Playsand season. Shout out when you find some!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillyZ

Aquarium Advice Addict
It seems like us reefers are always on the look out for old castle sand. Well it's the prime time of year for it to actually start appearing in the stores so I thought I would create a thread for folks to list where they've found it so others can get their hands on this elusive white gold. :wink:

This thread has the first report I've noticed this season:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=22174 for a HD in Reading PA.

If you come across some Old Castle/Yard right play sand add a post here so others can share the joy!!

The home depot in Lancaster PA always seems to have it as well, or at least the 3-4 times I've gone there to pick some up but I'll check on my next trip to make sure.

I have 3 bags in my basement, got them all in the Lancaster, PA HD...that was about 3 months ago.

Well I went to the HD in Reading, PA last night. And it is the right sand like the guy said in my original post.

It's a blue and red bag w/ a boy on it. It also says not for traction or aquarium use. :roll:

?????????

Hello I'm new at this whole thing but I take it from all the enthusiasm that this play sand is ok for your tank and fish,...but why would the bag say its not if it is???? also...can it be mixed with live sand and seeded in that way? Thanks in advance.... I need as much as possible explained to me :wink:

in short, yes. Its good stuff and feel free to mix :wink:

It says on the bag "not recomended" because of a contractual non-compete agreement between the supplier of the sand and another aquarium products company. This play sand is the exact same sand that you see in the LFS for $20 for a 25 pound bag

man tell them send some out to the west coast. i hate being out of the loop!

That's a sicila based sand. you can use it but it offers no buffering at all and some of the "sand critters" may not live in it.

Back
Top Bottom