It's so on now - 72g Reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just put the canopy back on the 120 and the water is a bit cloudy from my messing about in there. I'll take some tomorrow after it has cleared up. I'll post them in your thread again.

Here's a teaser of the two I put in the main display. I didn't want to mount them up high so I put them on the sand bed.

The polyps haven't opened back up in these pics but they are looking really good I think. I may have to steal these from you. LOL!

1012245mediumzw9.jpg

1012244mediumnb5.jpg

You know...that second one is very similar to the ORA Roscoe's. You can't tell it in the pic but each polyp is ringed with a neon green. Very cool coral.

is there like a 60 day holding period before I forfiet my rights or something? I should've read the fine print when I dropped them off.

Unfortunately I ended up working today. Tomorrow I plan to fix the 1 plumbing section I want to change, I'll let that run for a day to make sure it doesn't leak, then start draining it and getting it ready to move inside.

I still need to wire the MHs, so I'll get that done during the evenings this week. SHould be just a few more days I'll have it all inside and starting to fill with water. Have 30g mixed and ready, figuring I'm gonna need close to 100g total, but I can only store 30 at a time - so it'll take a day or 3 to get it all filled up.

Know of anywhere around here to get shelf/flat pieces of LR? I want to create some structure, but I don't have any flat pieces.

Unfortunately I don't. If I did I would have some in my tank as well. The flat peices are hard to come by it seems. You could check with Annandale Super Pets. I've seen some there but that was a long time ago. They have a giant LR pond and they just might have a few pieces.

Such a hike. lol I'll keep looking around. I haven't been to F&F lately, since they redid their whole frag system, maybe I'll go check them out and see if they have anything.

I've been wanting to go up there and see what it looks like too. The last time I was up there (they were in the middle of the remodel) they had some really nice looking LR. I didn't pay that much attention to it so I don't remember whether they had any flat pieces or not.

Alright, so here's where we are.

The 20 gallon RCS tank that's sitting where the reef will go has begun the breakdown process. I had about 200+ RCS I wanted to try to save, I've got about 50 left I need to catch - they're fast little buggers. Water level is down to 2" as I attempt to get the last of them, then this tank is outta here, clearing the way for the reef.

The 72 is still in the garage. I redid the 1 plumbing section I wanted to change and let it run for a day or two, all is well. The acrylic pieces for my sump arrived, they need a littel trim to fit right, but we have a machine shop at work and I'll get those taken care of tomorrow. The tank, sump and fuge have been drained, and I'm currently disassembling the plumbing in preparations for the move indoors.

Finally, I'm getting close to getting this thing setup for real.

My next task will be to paint the tank. I'm still debating on color, but what brand of paint is recommended? Spray or roll-on? I've never painted glass before, so not sure what will stick well enough.

Krylon

That is what I have used and what most people suggest. Make sure to cover all openings into the tank before you start spraying it. Color is really a personal choice.

Krylon works well. Just about any paint works. None of it really adhears to the glass more than what a razor blade will remove. My last couple tanks I have used Exterior Latex. It will not drive the family out of the house and is very easy to peel off and change if the need arises.

You guys sure are quick to complain about the slow progress, but I haven't seen any PMs with offers to come over and help. lol

The tank still sits in the garage; empty, lonely, depressed and cold. Poor thing.

I'm trying to take tomorrow off work to get it painted and started moving indoors. If I'm successful, the first 30 gallons of water will go in so I can start mixing up another batch. Im figuring I'll need around 100g of water to fill the system, but can only store 30g at a time.

I keep seeing all the sales being posted over on the WAMAS forums for the holidays - buy one get one free, $20 any fish, spend $50 get free frags - they're killing me that I don't have anywhere to put anything, and I know when I am finally ready for that stuff the sales will subside. That sucks. That's what I get for being lazy I guess.

The tanks that were in the way of where this will sit are gone though, so that's progress, right? My 125 which I had let get extremely rundown has been turned around and is looking better now though, so that's good news.

Are you going to get tomorrow off? I need an excuse to go to BRK and check out their progress and I wanted to swing out to F&S to see what they have done. Let me know.

Back
Top Bottom