Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #141
Sliced Bread

Thanks Ziggy. I posted on WAMAS too and they all said how difficult drilling a 10 was too, but also one of them nearby offered to help that has done it a lot, cuz I'm extremely nervous.

I did keep it wet with the water hose the entire time, but I was under the impression I wanted high RPMs at all times, so I was running the drill at pretty quick speed.

I'm going to pick up another 10 on my way home and try again - they're cheap, so not a big deal. Unfortunately, my 20H won't fit in the stand. That was my original plan, but I've had to drop down to a 10 to fit inside the extra vertical supports.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:00 PM   #142
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If you need some help let me know I may be able to come by this weekend.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #143
Sliced Bread

That might actually be nice, I'd like to walk through with someone my plumbing plans. Right now my weekend should be mostly clear, but it's another crazy week for me so who knows.

You're due for another trip to fins & feathers anyway, aren't you?
Old 09-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #144
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to intimatecple
beautiful looking LR ...I am now looking at that outlet for some LR as well...that really looked nice!!! Great job with the stand as well!!

Barry
Old 09-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #145
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Quote:
I did keep it wet with the water hose the entire time, but I was under the impression I wanted high RPMs at all times, so I was running the drill at pretty quick speed.
Going slow at first to get a good groove is probably a good idea but i think more important then RPM is not putting much pressure on the drill. You want the bit to grind away very small pieces as low pressure. Its when you push to hard that it causes the bit to torque and stick and other such problems that could cause cracking. Make sure at the end when you are very close to getting through the glass to put almost no pressure on the drill. I've found this to be the most difficult part of the process. Just my limited experience with it though. Haven't done a ton of drilling
Old 09-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #146
Sliced Bread

Thanks for all the comments and advice everyone!
Old 09-25-2008, 01:02 AM   #147
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've drilled a couple tanks at this point, 10 gallon tanks as well. IMO if you are breakig glass then you are applying too much pressure as you break through the last little bit of glass. I assume that it's breaking right at the end when you are about to break through the last bit of glass.

What ever pressure you are applying durring drilling, you want to really back off as you reach the end. This will keep the flaking of glass around the hole to a minimum.

Practice, practice, practice. It does not have to be a tank either. I actually practiced on a small piece of glass from a cheap picture frame at first.

EDIT:

around 450 rpm is what is usually suggested.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:11 AM   #148
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just read the entire thread from start to finish for the first time man that took a while. You are in the fun stage I am excited for you. Good idea getting the skimmer going with the rock cycling great time to break in the skimmer but why not cycle your tank with the rock It works awesome for an ammonia source. Do you have the stand done and tank ready to go yet?? Also I notice you will be using reef crystals you should pick up some turbo Calcium to add to your PWC Reef crystals has a low calcium level. Granted you don't have to worry about it until you have corals its a good idea to start the habit now. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the pictures.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #149
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Nice lookin rock Neilan, can't wait to see it in the tank.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #150
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I wouldn't suggest adding CA to the water until you are in need of it. I use RC and out of the bucket I get 350 CA so It's not as low as some thing.

While the tank is cycling and for the first several months after you aren't going to need a high CA content. 350 or what ever you get right out of the bucket will be just fine.

When you get into SPS corals and have a high CA demand then you can look at CA. It is more important to have a stable PH, SG of 1.023-1.026 (Mine is 1.025) stable temp, stable Alk and Mg. I have a heavily SPS dominated system and I don't have to add much CA to my system to keep it up. As long as my Mg and Alk are good I don't worry so much with the CA.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
72 gallon bowfront, 72bow, 72g, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com