Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #181
Aquarium Advice Addict

nice work on the stand and canopy but why isn't it curved to match the tank? lol

Old 10-30-2008, 06:47 PM   #182
Sliced Bread

Well, several reasons.

1) I'm not a carpenter, that just seemed tricky to me. lol
2) it afforded me more space inside the stand for sump, fuge, equipment, etc
3) amazingly enough, a 180g tank will fit on this stand too... hmmm. hehe

I'm out of town for the weekend, so no progress this weekend shall be made.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:30 PM   #183
Sliced Bread

Alright, once again I've been being lazy. I've been remotivated now with the purchase of a bunch of corals from Ziggy, and today a bunch more from BRK. Ziggy is being kind enough to house them for me for the time being, but I gotta get to work.

Today I laid out the lighting in the canopy, and started the wiring. Spent most of the afternoon at the LFS and Ziggy's place, so not a ton of progress, but here's a quick shot of testing out the T5 Retro kit.

No, that's not where the wiring or the ballast will live. Need some more wire to lay it all cleanly in where I want it. But I had to get them fired up. One bulb is a Geissman Actinic+, one is a Geissman Super Actinic.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #184
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks awesome.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:06 PM   #185
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Excellent progress. Just a tip on the T5s. You can mount them much lower in the canopy. They don't have to be very far off the water. Since I know the tank you are putting these on put the back bulb further back and have the front one about where you have it now. My rear T5 is about 3" off the water and the front is about 5".

I got all of your corals in the tank. After about 15 minutes the polyps came out on all the SPS which is a great sign. I wish you could have been here to see how awesome they look under the lighting. Over the weekend I'll get them in the 120 so they can benefit from the excellent flow and better lighting. You picked up some great looking corals!

I switched the MHs out for the Hamiltons you gave me. They fired up and what a difference! I reduced the photo period for tomorrow to 4 hours just to give the tank some time to get used to the new bulbs. Thanks again for those!!

Now we need to get that tank of yours drilled....
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:16 AM   #186
Sliced Bread

I was thinking about that when I was putting them in, installing them lower. I may do that, I had already rigged up some wood pieces to do it before anyway, so we'll see. I set the back bulb to be just inside the back lip, and the front bulb is closer to the MHs due to the bow in the front. Those are sitting aroung 8" off the water, so perhaps I should lower them. The T5s on my 125 FW are probably only 3 inches off the tank too.

Thanks again for hosting all of those for me - I can't wait to see pics. I was trying to hold out til they got in the tank so I could see them again, but it just didn't happen.

Glad those Hamiltons fired up for you, I'm hoping my reeflux do the same. lol

If it's not raining tomorrow, I'm driling tomorrow or Saturday (need help moving the tank, wife works tomorrow). It's just got to be done - good, bad or ugly. We'll see what happens.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #187
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilanh View Post
Alright, once again I've been being lazy. I've been remotivated now with the purchase of a bunch of corals from Ziggy, and today a bunch more from BRK. Ziggy is being kind enough to house them for me for the time being, but I gotta get to work.

Today I laid out the lighting in the canopy, and started the wiring. Spent most of the afternoon at the LFS and Ziggy's place, so not a ton of progress, but here's a quick shot of testing out the T5 Retro kit.
Here are the Corals that Neilan picked up at BRK. I'm still doing some searching to find some names for them. He snagged some awesome pieces and I'm looking forward to getting frags of them!!!!

This is a Tort, just not sure what tort it is...

A nice purple Monti Cap

The rest of these I'm not 100% sure what kind of Acro they are but here are the pics...

Old 11-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #188
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Some nice Ricordea Mushrooms!
Old 11-15-2008, 02:40 PM   #189
Sliced Bread

Thanks for the pics!

Progress today - the 72g tank officially has 3 holes in it now, and otherwise it's still in one piece!

Pics soon...
Old 11-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #190
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Just a word of advice. Do not over tighten the bulkheads when you put them in for the closed loop.

Good job on drilling the tank! Are we going to see water in it this weekend?????

Tags
72 gallon bowfront, 72bow, 72g, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com