Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2008, 05:14 PM   #201
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Over all you want 25 - 30x turn over so between 1800gph and 2200gph total flow in the tank. When I calculate my turn over I include the return pump/pumps.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #202
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a mag7 on my 46gallon and it seems like barely enough flow. definately would upgrade to the 9.5 If it were me.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #203
Sliced Bread

gonna try it. this is just for the CL, there will still be a return pump as well for the sump and I can supplement with PHs if I need to, although I'd like to avoid it.

But, even if I ran a 9.5 on both the return and CL I'm still not in the range Ziggy pointed out. Hmm...
Old 11-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #204
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have about 2800gph total flow in my 120 and I'm on the low side. I'm going to have to save up and buy one of those dang Vortech pumps. If I put a Mag12 on my return line and add another couple of nano streams I should be where I want to be.

Regardless of whether you hit the "target" number the key is for random flow. You will do well with the Mag 9.5 on the scwd. I had the 72 maxed out on flow. I had about the same amount of flow on the 72 as I do in the 120. So my 120 is in need of additional flow. Maybe Santa will be good to me this year.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #205
Sliced Bread

Ok, so I swapped out the pump for the Mag9.5. A little bit stronger, but still I guess not what I was expecting. See for yourself.

Currently the pump is at the bottom of the stand, so it's running at about 4.5-5 feet of head height, and of course through the SCWD and the PVC plumbing that you can see.

I could reset this whole thing so that the pump sits at the level at the base of the aquarium, since I have a 4" or so lip behind the tank. That would reduce the head height by about 3-3.5 feet. I know that will help some, but not sure it'll still be enough. Should I consider a larger pump?

Ultimately, there will be flare nozzles on the outputs, I just forgot to order them.

AVI Movie, 20M (trying to figure out how to shrink it)
Old 11-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #206
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is there anything restricting the flow of the pump. What is your return plumbing like? Locline plumbing with a flow director. Are you using flexible tubing for the return line?

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
Old 11-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #207
Sliced Bread

Plumbing is as follows

Intake is through a 3/4" bulkhead -> 90 deg PVC elbow -> Gate Valve -> Union -> hose barb -> 3/4" vinyl tubing -> pump

Return is pump -> 3/4" vinyl tubing -> 3/4" SCWD -> 3/4" tubing -> hose barb -> union -> gate valve -> 90 deg elbow -> 3/4" bulkhead -> 3/4" locline
-------------------------------------------------> 3/4" tubing -> hose barb -> union -> gate valve -> 90 deg elbow -> 3/4" bulkhead -> 3/4" locline
Old 11-17-2008, 10:09 PM   #208
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have 3/4" adaptor to 1" tubing to 3/4" locline plumbing on my 46gallon try to increase the size of your tubing and you may have a better result.

The guys that built my sump at glass-holes.com put it together for me for $35 I didn't mind paying the extra bucks to get it done right the locline plumbing is not available for me locally. The bigger the tubing the more flow you get from your pump because it has less restriction.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
Old 11-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #209
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

How much excess tubing do you have from pump to scwd and then scwd to tank?

For the best results the way you have things set up you will want the pump to be directly below the intake bulkhead, with as little excess tubing between scwd and the returns. Also one thing I found when running the SCWD is to have it at the height of your returns on the tank. I started mine out with it right on top of the pump and found that when I moved it up (in my case about a foot above the pump) it worked better and I got better flow out of it.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #210
Sliced Bread

I have probably 12-15" of excess on the intake side of the pump, but no real excess on the return side.

Tonight I'm going to reposition the pump up to the top of the stand behind the tank and see what that does.

That's assuming I figure out how to stop the 2 leaks I found between the PVC and the bulkheads. ugh.

Tags
72 gallon bowfront, 72bow, 72g, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com