Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #221
Sliced Bread

Yeah, about 540 out of a 950 pump. Perhaps I should try the 1" route and see what it gives me.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #222
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I say upgrade to the 1" and see what happens.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #223
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hmmm...I seem to remember you telling me about a pump change on your closed loop....an update is overdue!
Old 11-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #224
Sliced Bread

Yes, overdue - I've been working on it all weekend, so here's where we are.

First on the CL, rather than cut everything up and replumb with 1", I decided to try a bigger pump. Mag12 ordered from F&S and was delivered in 2 days. I'm happy with this. The CL is currently disassembled as I've been working on the main plumbing.

Which is pieced up mostly now.

First, and overall shot (Don't mind the completely trashed garage please)

The tank. You can see the plumbing for the CL isn't hooked up to anything. You can see how the HOB overflow was plumbed, and the return.

Back side - overflow and the return

This is a (crappy) pic of the plumbing from the back side of the stand. On the far left is the 10g fuge, where you can see the 90deg elbow which feeds the return back to the sump. The flex line is between the return pump and the rigid PVC from the earlier shot. This just gives me some flexibility. The rest I'll detail later.

This is the fuge. 10g tank sitting long ways in the stand. The overflow line comes in from the right, and follows around the rim of the tank to the other side. Below the water line is the 90deg elbow that feeds the return back to the sump. I actually successfully drilled this 10g this afternoon - I was so proud.

Fuge from the front of the stand

Alright, finally the sump plumbing. This is from the front. All the way left is the 2 main overflows. 1 from the HOB overflow box, and the second (closest camera) is the overflow from the fuge. In the middle is the 2d port overflow from the HOB. This is T'd off, with ball valves on both. The lower one eventually will route over to the other 2 dumps in the sump on the left, the one headed right is en route to the fuge. I'm going to redo this section, rotate the T 90 deg to give me some more height so I can route it the way I want. Right now it's just dumping straight down.

Everything is working as expected, except the noise level in the HOB is ridiculous. Trying to find ways to squelch it. Ideas?

Also, the return is using the Mag9.5 that I took off of the CL using all 3/4" plumbing. It's crazy the amount of flow that's coming out of it. I mean, it's putting out more than the mag12 is on the CL now. Insane what a few 90 elbow and fittings will do I guess. But that really blew my mind. It's powerful under the right circumstances. I may need to do something with the CL plumbing after all.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:05 PM   #225
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'm not sure, everything looks good to me.

The only thing I can think is the overflow is sucking air down the drain pipes and that is causing the noise. Did you put a ball valve on the return pump? If you did try turning that back some and see what you get. Also the part of the overflow that is in the tank where is the water level on that chamber in side the teeth?
Old 11-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #226
Sliced Bread

I was just thinking about throttling back the return. If you look at the 3d pic in my previous post, you see how the water is flowing so high above the walls? I think that's cuz there's too much flow? I didn't put a valve, but can give that a try or drop it to the mag7.

Inside the tank it's pretty much full, well above the siphon tube inlets.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:12 PM   #227
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If that is the case the you are pushing more water into the tank then the overflow can handle. That doesn't make much sense since yours should be able to handle 1000gph. It could be all the twists and turns of your plumbing that has it restricted. You may want to stick the Mag7 on there and see what it does. It looks like you could switch them out pretty easy.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:03 PM   #228
Sliced Bread

That's definately what's causing it. I throttled it back, and it helped quiet it down. Then I opened it back up full and used the filter pads provided with the HOB, that helped too. I dont want to use those permanently, so I'll need to figure it out.

I don't understand why it can't handle it. It is handling it, it's just doing it loudly. It's a 1200gph overflow with only a 950gph pump, which has some loss due to head height. *shrug*
Old 11-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #229
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilanh View Post
That's definately what's causing it. I throttled it back, and it helped quiet it down. Then I opened it back up full and used the filter pads provided with the HOB, that helped too. I dont want to use those permanently, so I'll need to figure it out.

I don't understand why it can't handle it. It is handling it, it's just doing it loudly. It's a 1200gph overflow with only a 950gph pump, which has some loss due to head height. *shrug*
You are loosing a lot of drain line flow because of the valves, 90s and the horizontal sections of your plumbing. Add all of that up and you are probably close to maxing out your drain when compared to the pump. You may do better with the Mag 7 as your return pump.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #230
Sliced Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
You are loosing a lot of drain line flow because of the valves, 90s and the horizontal sections of your plumbing. Add all of that up and you are probably close to maxing out your drain when compared to the pump. You may do better with the Mag 7 as your return pump.
But, then what will I do with this mag9.5?

But - yes, I think you're right. I'm gonna let it run for a bit (I'm cold and wet and just done for today) and try that out tomorrow.

Tags
72 gallon bowfront, 72bow, 72g, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com