Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2008, 10:16 PM   #231
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilanh View Post
But, then what will I do with this mag9.5?

But - yes, I think you're right. I'm gonna let it run for a bit (I'm cold and wet and just done for today) and try that out tomorrow.
Well if you must do something with the MAG9.5 I can help you find a suitable home for it.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #232
Aquarium Advice Addict

The setup is great I really like it and its designed perfectly. I really think you would yield a much better result by just using 1" vinyl tubing from the Mag pump directly to the tank with just one solid pieced of 1" vinyl tubing. Your flow would be much better I was shocked by the difference it made with that extra 1/4" of space you can push 25% more water threw the tubing. PVC is great for the drain line but not good at all for the return line IMO. And in regards to the noise is a lot of it splash noise? I had the problem with my skimmer splashing into my sump and I totally could not watch a movie in my livingroom because of the splashing. I added vinyl tubing to extend under the water line and the noise went away. I also added a curved pvc pipe to direct the drian flow into the water and now its no longer noisy. If its pump noise rattling against the sump try and put a towel rubberbanded around the pump to cushion it so its not plastic vibrating on plastic. Also I am having a hard time understanding your drian line from the pics How many elbows are there in the drain ideally there should only be 1 is there more??. Anyway hope my opinion on it is somewhat helpfull

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:42 PM   #233
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijiwigi View Post
The setup is great I really like it and its designed perfectly. I really think you would yield a much better result by just using 1" vinyl tubing from the Mag pump directly to the tank with just one solid pieced of 1" vinyl tubing. Your flow would be much better I was shocked by the difference it made with that extra 1/4" of space you can push 25% more water threw the tubing. PVC is great for the drain line but not good at all for the return line IMO. And in regards to the noise is a lot of it splash noise? I had the problem with my skimmer splashing into my sump and I totally could not watch a movie in my livingroom because of the splashing. I added vinyl tubing to extend under the water line and the noise went away. I also added a curved pvc pipe to direct the drian flow into the water and now its no longer noisy. If its pump noise rattling against the sump try and put a towel rubberbanded around the pump to cushion it so its not plastic vibrating on plastic. Also I am having a hard time understanding your drian line from the pics How many elbows are there in the drain ideally there should only be 1 is there more??. Anyway hope my opinion on it is somewhat helpfull
I think Neilan's problem is too much flow.

I've got both vinyl and rigid PVC as return lines on my system and I like the PVC hands down over the vinyl. The PVC doesn't get algae growth like the vinyl does and it doesn't flex when the pump turns on or shuts off. When I replace my main return pump I will have 0 vinyl on my system.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #234
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Nice job. Very well planned out.
You can try this to quiet your HOB overflow. It works really good.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:05 AM   #235
Sliced Bread

I was looking for that pic earlier, I remembered seeing it somewhere... is there a larger one? I see the solo cup, but I'm sure there's more to it than that.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #236
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
That's the only pic I have, but it's just a cup over the drain pipe with a hole in the top. The hole/airline lets the air in and the cup keeps the noise inside.
I used a small piece of eggcrate to wedge the cup in there.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #237
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

So....How is the progress now?
Old 12-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #238
Sliced Bread

tank is running for the planned week in the garage with no issues. I'm waiting on a friend who cut acrylic for me to put a bubble trap and tower in my sump to get me those, otherwise I hope to start the process of moving it all indoors this weekend.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #239
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Excellent!

I just put a few of your corals in my main tank. I'm working on cleaning the frag tank out and fragging up all the digi and acros I have in there. I needed the room. I remounted your Blue Tort (the one you said you paid too much for) there was so much algae growing on the plug I decided it was a good idea to remount it.

They are all looking great. The odd ball coral you picked up that was on the black plug, it's the one that kind of curves like gazel horns, it has started growing like mad. The others are looking good but I haven't noticed any real growth.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #240
Sliced Bread

Appreciate you taking care of those for me, and I'm glad they're starting to takeoff, you know - so I can pay you for your services with frags and all

Some updated pics wouldn't hurt my feelings, btw hehe

Tags
72 gallon bowfront, 72bow, 72g, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com