It's so on now - 72g Reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm, several packages got pushed until tomorrow. Thanks fedex!?!?

Here's what did arrive today, though.

IMG_2340.JPG

Never had one of these before. In the 4th stage, should this stuff be all broken up like this?

IMG_2342.JPG

you want to try to stop it from channeling like that. You could take it off and tap it a few times on your hand to get it to compact. I took mine off the horizontal clips and mounted it next to my unit vertically. When you refill really cram the stuff in there.

Thanks Cpt, I'll try tapping it down. It's brand new, so I don't have any replacement stuff to cram in there. It'll be okay to get going???

Today, my locline from modularhose and Reef crystals arrived. I think that means I've got everything, I need to get stuff going. Stand still needs to be finished, I haven't even hardly thought yet about the canopy design. RO/DI needs to get hooked up so I can get LR on order.

Skinning

It's the weekend, time for a little more work.

Started skinning the stand. I found some really nice sandeply to skin it out with. Cut out the front piece and attached with liquid nails and finishing nails. Clamps will hold it so the liquid nails can dry.

IMG_2344.JPG

For the sides, I'll use the same stuff, but it'll be cut to fill the whole side, then placed on hinges so the sides can open giving access to the inside. Doors of some sort will go on the front, haven't figured that part completely out yet.

Yeah, everything that was ordered has arrived. I still need an ATO, but that'll come later. Now that the RODI is up and running, I'm thinking it's finally time to get the LR on order, so perhaps this week.

I let the RODI run for like 6 or 8 hours yesterday, and it was still showing TDS in the 20s when I turned it off last night. Down from the 50s it was in when it first started running, but I would've thought after an hour it should've been down. So, I'm a bit concerned about that. I ordered more DI resin to fill that housing up with, but outside of that I dunno what to do. Input TDS is reading just under 200.

Neilan,

I kind of wonder if you would be better served by turning that resin to a vertical position. That may solve your problem, or at least tell you if short circuiting in the chamber is the problem.

Nice work btw!

Something is not right if the TDS is still that high. Check your auto shut-off. It's that white box on the front that has the 4 lines going into it. I've had to replace mine twice. If you take it apart, you will see there are rubber washers in it and those washers may not be seated right and the water can bypass the ro membrane.

Good suggestions. I did order more DI resin to fill that guy up, perhaps that will help. After letting it run for another 10 hours or so yesterday, the reading last night was at 13, so it is continueing to come down, just seems like it's taking forever, and I didn't anticipate that. I am still getting air bubbles in the pure water line too, I would've expected those to stop by now as well.

I'll check the auto shutoff and see what it looks like in there as well.

How do you test for TDS? Does somebody make a test kit for that? I have that same exact RO/DI unit, which I have been using for about 6-months now and everything has been fine. But know I think Id like to test for TDS. Thanks.

Didn't you get in on that free deal for the hand held TDS meter at one point Neilan? Have you tried that to see if it gets the same results?

Yeah, I have that around here somewhere. I should give it a shot, good call. I haven't yet collected any of the water, it's all just been running down the drain so far. lol

Yeah, it was definately about time, I agree.

Made more progress on the stand over the weekend. It's nearly complete and the canopy will get started this week. I've decided my pace is too slow, so I'm going to try to do a little each evening. Problem is using the table saw in my neighborhood, they don't care for the noise after 7ish. Sides have been completed and I just need to do the doors on the front, which I bought material for yesterday, and the top piece I just need to have cut to size.

I got some more DI resin and repacked that module in the RO/DI unit. TDS is still reading around 8 or so, which I don't understand, but figure at least it's good enough for curing the rock. The batteries in my handheld TDS meter are dead, so I'll get some replacements then take Sparky's recommendation to verify the readings. Working on filling up the 35g cans I got and then will get the rock on order.

Finally, some more progress

Finally getting some more stuff done. Today so far I've got the top on the stand. 3/4" sandeply: nice, flat and level.

Also, you can see how I've hinged the sides to give full access inside from the sides as well.

DSC04030.JPG

And of course, my trusty helper:
DSC04028a.JPG

Back
Top Bottom