Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #81
Sliced Bread

Alright, I went. Have everything I need to finish the stand and canopy. See how far I get tonight. Storms rolling through tomorrow, probably be a good day to drill the tank. Doubt I'll be staining with the winds they anticipate it bringing.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #82
AA Team Emeritus

And when all this is ret ta go,you're coming to MD to get some of my coral frags???

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #83
Sliced Bread

Heck yeah! Thanks for the offer!

I've heard one should wait a month or two after completion of the cycle before adding corals - is that true? Kinda a bummer if it is. lol

I thought I had found some local LR for a great price, but I went and looked at it and passed on it, so I'm back to looking again. Still looking for sand too. No LFS around me carries dry sand that I've found, and shipping rates are ridiculous - except for F&S, which doesn't seem to have what I think I want.

The doors for the cabinet are cut and ready, so the stand is ready for stain. Depending on the weather, I may try the first coat tomorrow. I'll also finish the canopy tomorrow. 1 more piece to cut, then just assemble the dual-hinged top, and it's done too.

Once the stain is done, I'll install the retro kits for lighting, and set it all up in the garage. Drill the tank and rough in my plumbing, then let it run for a week or so to make sure I got it all right, then it'll be ready to move in to the house and get it setup for real.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:53 PM   #84
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Neilan, I need to order some stuff from the drs, since you work down the street from me we could meet up. We can split shipping.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #85
AA Team Emeritus

Yeah, I'dwait for that long before adding coral just to ensure things are stable. Especially after the new tank diatoms pass when everything is brown.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #86
Sliced Bread

I figured you'd guys would say that. haha

Scott, I order from F&S like constantly. Probably 3 shipments in the last month. lol. They're shipping rates are great, IMO, so I don't even consider them when I need stuff. Just got a box from them yesterday, as a matter of fact.

They only carry the sugar-sized aragamax oolite, I was hoping for the select. Probably doesn't matter though? you guys tell me. I've been unable to find select at anywhere that didn't want a million dollars for shipping. The last time I was at BRK they only had 1 30lb bag, I'm figuring I'll need 100 pounds. Guess I could ask John to order it, though. Don't recall his prices now, however.

I was actually considering this stuff too, just cuz it seemed like a pretty good deal, but realize I'd probably be better of with dry - if only I could find it.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:56 AM   #87
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Neilan, check Petco and Petsmart for the sand. They carry it and is where I got mine from. I think it was $19 for a 30# bag.

You should wait at least a couple of months before adding corals. You want to make sure that your PH has leveled out. You also want to allow for your diatoms (like Ray said) to burn out. Don't worry those two months will pass quicker then you think. Especially with your work schedule.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #88
AA Team Emeritus

Neilan, also check out ThatPetPlace.com for product. They price match (if needed) and shipping from them to you should only be a day or two vs. f&s taking a week on most stuff. I buy from both constantly and find customer service to be top notch at both. I also find that each carries some products that the other doesn't.

Yes, wait at least 2 months before adding corals to make sure your tank stabilizes.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #89
Sliced Bread

I've checked the petco and the petsmart that's near me and neither one of them carry it. They have a few small bags of arag-alive or one of the other live sands, but that's it. There's 1 more petco in Leesburg about 20 min from here, may drive out there today since it's raining and I cant do much anyway.

I'll check on ThatPetPlace.com. I do keep hearing good things about them, but haven't ever used them.

F&S is good for me, usually 2-3 days from order to delivery.

As long as the wind stays down, I may try to put the first coat of stain on today. Anyone know if high humidity from it pouring outside is a bad situation to do this in?
Old 09-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #90
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yes it is a bad idea. I expect you are using Minwax?? Most of your oil/acrylic based stains will not dry well in really wet/humid environments. Check the label on the can and see what it says.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
72 gallon bowfront, 72bow, 72g, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com