It's so on now - 72g Reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the diaper fits.....

But seriously, the stand is looking very nice. For the life of me I can't understand what is taking so long though. (Words of encouragement)

This from the guy that waits an entire year to buy anything but snails and crabs for his tank. Sheesh.

I've been down on myself about the quality of it, that's hindered my motivation. Funny how dumb little things help sometimes - I found last weekend some cool trim, and I put it on last night, and now it's like I don't even notice the billions of flaws in the stand anymore.

Doors this afternoon is the plan. I cutout the 4 walls for the canopy last night, need to tack-assemble them and verify fitment on the tank, so I am actually making good progress this weekend.

Found a local guy that has 130# rock for sale. Meeting him next weekend to pick it all up.

I think I'm getting close now, finally.

And corals too, don't forget the corals!

I totally understand the motivation thing. The truth is that the flaws you see as you do the work will under almost any circumstances would not be noticed by anybody.

I also believe that if people are looking at your stand and not at your tank, you have done something really wrong in the tank.

From the pictures things look very nice. If need be I can return the favor and but you once or twice a week.

Alright, little more done today.

Canopy is framed in.

IMG_2356.JPG

lighting help

Trying to layout the lighting in my canopy. The problem is the tank is only 12 or 13" wide at the edges. I bought some of the standard retro reflectors from hellolights, but they're as wide as the tank is on the ends, so it doesn't really leave room for the T5 actinics.

Will this work, or are the T5s going to explode?

Blue is the T5 bulbs, yellow in the lower picture is the MH reflector. Top picture is a side view, bottom is a tops down view.

Mad paint skillz, I know. :ROFLMAO:

light%20layout.JPG

Good question. Are you planning on using fans?
Do most MH fixtures use or need fans?

I totally understand the motivation thing. The truth is that the flaws you see as you do the work will under almost any circumstances would not be noticed by anybody.

Here here. You should have seen the hissy fit I threw at myself when I stained the stand for my 2ft. I failed to notice a droplet that had fallen onto the top of the bottom part. I found it the next day after it had dried. No one else has never noticed it cos my canister filter sits on that spot now.

Last edited:
Hmm...Mad paint skills...

The MH is going to be in the center most portion of the reflector and closer to the top of the canopy. I'm assuming you have mogul sockets?? I'm guessing that the front of your canopy will fold up and onto the top of itself?

My MHs are some what centered over the left and right sides of the tank. The VHO's run on either side of the MH font and back. Here is a picture of the lighting before I added the T5's. The T5's are not under the reflector you see in this pic they are behind and in front of it on legs to get them closer to the water.

lightsoffaci8.jpg

You will definately need fans in there. I run 3 on my canopy and the back is open, it looks like your's will be completely closed in. I don't think you will have a problem with the T5's getting too hot they have their own reflector so they will be some what sheilded from the MHs. T5's can stand some serious temps, we use them in our freezer at work and it is -10 in there. I believe they range from -40 to 200+ so I think you should be ok with the heat issue.

I hadn't thought of the T5 reflectors shielding them, that's a good point. I'll give it a go, and put several fans on the ends of the canopy. I'll be cutting holes above the MH reflectors to allow heat to vent through the top as well.

You're right, mogul sockets on the MHs. I haven't decided 100% on how the canopy will open up yet, but I'm thinking I'll hinge the entire top, and then also hinge the area infront of the bulbs as well. One for easy access, and one to access the lighting.

I did put a back on the canopy, but there will be a gap between the back of the canopy and the back of the tank since the canopy has been oversized to match the dimensions of the stand. So, while not open backed, it will provide additional area for air transfer, albeit not in the right direction to eject the hot air.

now to find some decent fans...

I'm using standard PC fans in my canopy. 125mm and 90mm. I need to switch them around so they are all pulling air out of the canopy now since only the back of mine is open. Right now the two smaller fans are blowing down and the larger is blowing out.

Wow, you have some amazing patience there. I would have had that sucker filled and running a long time ago! But I know all your patience now will pay off big time down the road because you're figuring out all the issues as they come up. Keep the updates coming!

Try to get 120mm as they are quieter(lesss whine/whistle) than 80 or 90mm fans and move more air. The cheap fans work but are normally sometimes loud.

computer places are your best bet, I like newegg, but there are many computer sites with good pricing.

The "Scythe" fans are highly recommended for computer cooling but cost more The ones with "Fluid Dynamic Bearing" are what people like b/c they are quiet.
.http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010110573%2050002108&name=Scythe%20USA

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=573&name=Case-Fans

Other vendors there are many more, but this should show you the options)
http://www.chiefvalue.com/product-_-searchcategory.cv_-_linkid--101&catalog--573
http://petrastechshop.com/fans.html
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=494

Updates. Well, work has been insane. I just finished a 14 day streak of working 12-15 hours a day. Fun times, let me tell you. I will finally have some time this weekend to get back down to business. I'm trying to get motivated right now to head to HD to get the last pieces of wood for the stand doors and the canopy, and to pick out the stain and get that going this week.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom