Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah the only thing I see as terribly strange is the temp issue.

I am like you when it comes to all the mechanical filters and there are many different ways to do a reef tank. I dont use any mechanical filters in my tank, I dont run a skimmer, and honestly the last time I did a real water change was 6 months ago. I use a fuge with macro and live rock on a reverse photo period, and live sand and live rock. all that being said my tank is full of mushrooms, montis, birdsnests, soft corals, ect. and they all are doing quite well. I do keep a fairly under stocked tank though, and I feed only every few days.

I think sometimes people get too carried away with the idea that there is only one correct way to do something.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow no water change is 6 months? That's impressive. What size of tank do you have and what's your livestock? The reason I posted this was because I am kind of upset with the fact that I purchased hundreds of dollars worth of equipment when I started off, because everyone told me I needed it, when it can run perfectly fine without it all. It seems that everyone is just buying into the hype and pushing it on everyone else that comes along. I am not in any way going to tell anyone to do what I did or am doing, but I believe you need to know what you're working with and how much time and effort you are willing to put into it. Thanks to all of you for posting and not making me feel like a horrible person for not running a certain amount of equipment or not following the proper drip acclimation procedures.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

its a 125 with 20 gallon sump. I have a mimic tang, a diadema dotty back, a few damsels, a big 4" tomato clown, some green chromis, a few serpent stars, coral banded shrimp, snails, hermits. it is a fairly small bio load, for the size tank.

I sell corals from my tank every now and then and the water that goes out with them gets replaced with fresh sw. but its not very much at all.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Not much of this suprises me either. Some of my old freshwater habits have leaked into my new saltwater hobby. Rather than drip, I just float my bags in the top of my tank. Only things that have died were my cleaner shrimp and a peppermint shrimp out of fish, multiple corals, snails, and hermit crabs. And tbh, the only reason i lost the 2 shrimp is because my tank wasn't ready to support them.

I understand what others are saying about buying tons of equipment that "isn't needed". Lets be honest, they are investments that save us either time or money in the long run. My RO/DI has saved me 20 bucks and I haven't owned it for a week. I'm already making up water for next weeks PWC and will start making some for my local SW pal from high school that will start trading me copepods for water.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com