Ive Got a Mantis.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
Welp,

Ive got a Mantis. Looks to be a good sized brown one. his burrow was well hidden so I hadn't seen it before now. What should I do? Do I need to worry about my Coral Banded Shrimp? I figure I now know where all my blue-legged hermit crabs went. :x

If he is a good size one like you say your shrimp is in trouble.

Funny I just discovered a tiny Peacock Mantis in my tank today.
Ordered a Mantis trap and hopefully he'll be caught.

I plan to set up a 10 gallon for him

Good Luck

I may have spoken to soon. He might just be a large hitchiker crab. (kinda just saw him from a weird angle.) anyways, I am going to make a coke bottle trap and try to get rid of as many of them as possible.

I tried the bottle thing for about a week and had no luck. One day while cleaning we saw him go into a hole...we pulled the rock out and within 15 seconds had him flopping in the bottom of the bucket. If you know what rock he's in that's how i would recommend you get him.

i grabed the rock and tryed dipping it in everything the little bugger wouldnt come out so after 4 or 5 trys he and his rock are in thier own tank with a couple other hichhikers

It took me about 10 minutes to catch my second mantis. I poked a hole in the end of a plastic bottle, put some string through the hole and tied a piece of shrimp to the string. Left enough slack so the shrimp was hanging out of the tip of the bottle. Put the contraption up to the Mantis' hole. He popped his head out and when he came after the shrimp I slowly pulled it back. When he was about 2 inches inside the bottle I pulled it out of the tank.

He now king of my fuge.

copy everything from the http: to the /feature/ and stick it in your address bar.

the stupid abreviation thing kicks in on the links and cuts off everything after it.

So I had never seen a mantis before, but are a couple at a LFS right now--huge (5" ish) green ones. A) They are pretty cool looking. B) Lord, are they scary. My husband asked the clerk where his claws were and the guy said, "Let me feed them and you'll see." 2 1/2 seconds and one dead feed fish later, we saw. Man. I'm not into keeping anything I have to feed live food, but they are impressive creatures. And I can see why hitchhikers need to go, ASAP!

Back
Top Bottom