I've got crabs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andy_b22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright, it is time to do something about this, my live rock that i got was from liverocks.com. i used it to set up a new aquarium so i didn't really get a chance to get all the little critters that i wanted to out of it, recently i have seen 3-4 big crabs that came with the rock, and also in the last week i have had one sand sifting sea star and two sea cucumbers killed, water parameters are fine. I think it is the crabs that are killing them. Is there and easy was to get the crabs out of the tank? i need some quick suggestions.

I`ve heard people say that they have taken a glass and put it in the tank and leave a steep decline with some food at bottom so they can climb in but not out. This will probably happen at night. They`ll be other ways but thats all I could think of on quicvk notice.

I have heard others use a FW dip method. If you know the hunk of LR they are in and can remove it without disturbing the rest of your tank and rock too much. Take the rock and dip it into a bucket of fresh water (no salt) and often the crabs will come out. You should of course then remove the crab from the FW and put it in normal SW.

you can get a trap and bait it over night ther not to costly as i recall like $20 or so

Back
Top Bottom