Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2010, 11:36 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
Major issue! So, me and my wife discovered another aptasia following our new aquascape the other day. We have been using aptasia X to kill quite a few of them, and I got to tell you, this stuff really seems to work.

Anyway, my wife went on another killing spree tonight, which requires that we turn off all pumps and power heads for 15 minutes. Following treating the aptasia, she witness what seemed like some legs feeling around out of a crevis of a rock. The legs had brittles on them and appeared white and black.

Curiosity got the better of us, so I lifted up the rock that was hiding what ever the creature was that was under it. HOLY $@!*, it was what appears to be a huge brittle star. I don't know where it came from, and didn't get a real good look at it before it fell down behind the rocks and disappeared, but it was big. The diameter of the creature including the legs spread out appeared to be about 3 or 4 inches.

I have been trying to do some research, and it looks like brittle stars are pretty well recieved. Anything that I should be worried about? Will this thing show itself under normal (lights on) circumstances or will it hide until night. I know it is a nocternal feeder.

I never expected a hitchhiker this big. The thing actually scared me when I saw it.

I obviously don't have a picture since it disappeared... but any help on what I might have seen would be appreciated.

jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:34 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bristle Stars you don't normally see the full body, just an arm waving from you LR. Don't worry, they are completely reef safe and are a great little hitchhiker. Lucky you.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:56 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I have already been thinking of fish stock. There are so many fish that I like, but had a question about one in particular.

A blue hippo teng needs a big tank and alot of swimming room. I have seen that a minimum of 125 is needed, and it has been mentioned that a 6 foot long tank should be used.

Is that to mean that a 3'x3' 150 gallon like in this thread would not work?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

Stock has arrived. After nearly a week of tests showing zero, we have got the following animals:

15 Blue Hermit Crabs
5 Scarlett Hermit Crabs
20 Astrea Snails
3 Emerld Crabs
1 Sally Lightfoot
2 Tank Raised Percula Clowns.

Everything is acclimating now. Pictures of the stock to be posted shortly as they investigate their new home.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #65
AA Team Emeritus

Swimming room for a tang means left and right I believe. That is best for'm at 6'. They don't get that in your tank.

Get some peppermint shrimp too. They'll keep the aptasia you can't see yet trimmed.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep. But if you see more big ones you'll have to zap them, Pep's don't go for big ones. Although you could get a Copperband Butterfly.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Old 03-20-2010, 12:41 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Activist

jcarl
I like the wife's aqua scape better. One thing I noticed was that you had no union on the suction of the pump.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmelski View Post
jcarl
I like the wife's aqua scape better. One thing I noticed was that you had no union on the suction of the pump.
You are correct. There wasn't enough room to allow for a union at that location. I have to remove the bulkhead from the sump if I need to remove the pump.

Unfortunate, but will have to be that way. This limited space thing is starting to stink. I am going to throw my back out trying to get in and out of the stand.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

Updates!

So, its been awhile and alot has happened. First off, I am really happy with how all of the equipment is working out. The sump that I built is working great with the filter sock. It needs to be cleaned out about once a week, but I have found a great way to do it. I fill up about a 1/2" of water in the bathtub, lay the filter sock in the bottom, and tap on it. The brown nasties come right out.

The protein skimmer is pulling quite a bit of skimmate out of the tank, which I didn't expect. I have only fed once, so I know I am not overfeeding but I assume some of the live rock die off was contributing originally.

WE HAVE FISH! We purchased two percula clownfish over the weekend. The wife used to have some ocellarius and loves these guys. They are doing great and loving 150 gallons to themselves.

When we originally fed them, we found a crab come walking out of the live rocks. He must have been hungry. Ugly guy too, brown with red eyes and big pinchers. Wife screamed "gross" and he quickly moved back into his cave when he saw us. Here is a picture of the ugly guy:

As you can see, we caught him. We tried with some food in a long shot glass first, but we woke up the next morning to all of the shrimp being gone and the crab fat and happy in his cave.

The larger glass above did the trick. I would have felt bad killing him so we dropped him off at the LFS and they were happy to take him.

Unfortunately we also know that we have a mantis shrimp. He is about 2" in length and was looking for food the first time we fed too. We haven't seen him since, but the wife is constantly claiming she is hearing clicks. Gotta work on catching him.

So here are a few shots of the tank as it stands now.

So how long should we wait before getting a lether coral or something?
Old 03-23-2010, 01:37 AM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could get one now. I personally reccomend doing deciding, research and planning your corals before you get any. This way you can accomodate for the coral growth and where your gonna put everything.

Follow my 6G Pico build!

Tags
150 gallon, 50 gallon, build, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com