Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree with Mitchell0605. Do your research on the coral first. I made some newbie mistakes with some of the corals that I bought and wish I didn't purchase them now. The clicking could be your clown fish. I've read that clown fish snap their jaws and make this sound. Do you have the Koralias on timers or are they on at all time? I've read they can make clicking sounds if put on a wave controller.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmelski View Post
I agree with Mitchell0605. Do your research on the coral first. I made some newbie mistakes with some of the corals that I bought and wish I didn't purchase them now. The clicking could be your clown fish. I've read that clown fish snap their jaws and make this sound. Do you have the Koralias on timers or are they on at all time? I've read they can make clicking sounds if put on a wave controller.
Koreilas are on full time.

We saw the mantis, so I am sure I have one. I still haven't heard any clicking.

jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #73
is back to save the day!

You probably haven't heard any clicking because he hasn't found a rock that he wants to burrow into yet. The only time you hear the clicking is when he is digging in to something.. Pistol Shrimps are the shrimps that can make the clicking noise regardless of what they aim their claw at, not Mantis'
Old 03-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also Mantis' can click in rapid succession (click,click,click) whereas Pistol Shrimp can only click once. That's another way to tell them apart.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would also hold off on fish and stuff until you get the mantis shrimp as he might find some fish/inverts/corals tasty.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:56 PM   #76
AA Team Emeritus

Mantis shrimp use that claw to kill prey, not to burrow into rock. It is possibly the fastest motion of any animal and takes a truly high speed camera to capture it so we can witness it,
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

Although if the sucker gets you the pain comes pretty fast too.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:25 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have this same tank and want to tell you its an awesome tank and very nice to show. I had the spray problem on the return as well. I used a small piece of filter between the wall and return line which doesn't break the siphon. It was a huge distraction and messy until I got something small enough to fit in there.

Your tank looks great and good luck!
Old 04-02-2010, 11:46 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnpaul View Post
I have this same tank and want to tell you its an awesome tank and very nice to show. I had the spray problem on the return as well. I used a small piece of filter between the wall and return line which doesn't break the siphon. It was a huge distraction and messy until I got something small enough to fit in there.

Your tank looks great and good luck!
Thanks paul.

Well, your post reminded me that I haven't updated for awhile. So here goes.

We have started to aquire corals. We picked up some GSP and a leather coral on our first trip. They opened up with in about 1 hour of putting them in the tank. We have had them for about a week now, and they are almost constantly open and look great.

On the second trip, we got two ricordias, one with large "bumps" and somewhat pale blue in color, and the other orange with a green mouth.

We also got a toadstool

Coraline is coming in nicely and really developing even on rocks that were dead.

Diatoms are finally starting to fade. They were driving me crazy. I am about to test the water as I haven't done that in a while. I am happy to say that I was able to change out 10% of the water last weekend, in about an hour and a half, not including water RO time.

Here are a few overall tank shots.

Thanks for looking!
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Freak

very beautiful. +1, i just picked up a brain today myself. I cant wait to get a toad leather next

Tags
150 gallon, 50 gallon, build, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com