Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
Jake's 150 Gallon Cube Build

Well, it finally came in. The marineland 150 gallon cube with built in overflow and a black pine stand. After a short utilization of a U-Haul truck and paying a few friends with food to help me carry it in, its in its home for time to come. Let me tell you, this thing is not light. With no center brace, they used 1/2" glass and the tank alone weighs 244 pounds.

I also just got information from Dr. Foster and Smith that my order has shipped. I ordered the following:

(2) 300 Watt Stealth Heaters
(1) JBJ ATI controller & small azoo pump
(1) Eheim pump for the integrated refugium/quarantine
(2) Hydro Koralia circulation pumps
(1) CPX-150 Return Pump
(1) Coralife 2 Stage R/O DI
(1) 7" Sump Intake
And some small things like hoses, clamps, etc. As you can see, I forgot to order a 1" bulkhead for the return pump. I am going to have to find one locally or wait to have one shipped.

I also need to get my ASM G2 protein skimmer which I am hopefully going to get for my birthday. We will see, otherwise I need to order that too.

The sump is under construction. I purchased a cheap Ryobi table saw that is too small for the application as their is no way to attach the rip fence at 16" which is the height of the sides of the sump. I have made due though, and I expect to have it finished this week. I have been using weld-on #3 which is working fine, but I doubt it is water tight. Thus, this week, I am going to track down some weld-on #16 and use it in all the interior corners to seal everything up and give me a little piece of mind. A plan of the sump is at the bottom of this posting, though orientated sideways. The design is not traditional, and may possible get some flack for the built in quarantine/refugium, but I am hoping it works the way I want it to.

I live in a small condo in the city of Chicago and have no room for top off tanks, quarantines or anything else with exception of whats available under the tank. That leads to a problem... more on that later.

So... thats where I am right now. I will start installing the overflow today, and hopefully finish up the last pieces of the sump. I am waiting until I get the return pump though, so I know what size to drill the bulkhead. I should also wait until the pump comes in so that I know exactly where to drill the hole. Any advice on this?

A couple of problems...

Marineland says in their book that the storage area under the tank is 35X35. Thus, the sump that I built is 34 X 28 1/2" Well, low and behold, there are bracing in the corners of the stand.

This is going to be a problem since the 28 1/2" dimension (front to back) won't fit. Looks like I am going to have to build up the bottom of the stand with some plywood so the sump has a level surface to sit on above these braces.

Problem #2... I planned on re-using my (2) 150 watt HQI + 4 T5 light fixture since it cost me around 500 bucks. The brackets that came with it are supposed to straddle the side of the aquarium rim. My aquarium came with a nice looking thick trim piece all the way around the top. Additionally, I can spread the brackets on the light out to a maximum of 35" and the tank perimeter is exactly 36"

So it looks like my options are either to call Catalina aquarium supply and ask them to build some custom legs for my tank, or to hang the light. I don't however have an outlet at the ceiling, and the lights are all going to be on timers, so would the cords run off of a hanging light and then into the stand where the plug and timer is? I think that would look stupid.

Anyway... I will be updating this as things progress. I look forward to all comments, questions, or criticisms.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sump.pdf (50.6 KB, 161 views)

jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It looks like the adventure begins. Thanks for sharing.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sweet. I love big cubes. My LFS has a huge one for their DT. Looking for ward to seeing this one finished.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys (and girls).

Well, new and developing issues.

I finished hooking up the included overflow system. Those bulkheads are huge and measure 1.5" inside diameter. I didn't expect them to be that big. Now, that concerns me a little. The return line on the pump is only 1" according to the manufacturer. Obviously that means that my plumbing is going to have to accomodate an increase in pipe size before connecting to the over flow. Is that going to be a problem?

Second issue: I am going to have to get my light fixture legs reworked. Right now, fully spread out, they are about 1" short of making the 46" length of the aquarium. That or I am going to have to rework my fixture to accomodate a larger distance between legs.

Third issue: I am becoming increasingly fearful that my half built sump is not going to fit. Not only is the issue with the bracing below, but now I am not sure that I can even get it into the stand. Looks like I am going to have to take the tank off and drop it in, however with the lip around the stand to support the tank, I am not sure it is going to make it.

Blah... Ill get it figured out. New tanks always have issues.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, one other thing... I measured the inside of the glass in the tank to determine water volume. Its 34X34X25. Which comes out to about 125 gallons not including the overflow area.

Kinda bummed/angry about that. If marineland is going to call this a 150 gallon, 25 gallons off is not really close.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, well can i first say i love the tank. I have always like cube tanks but have kinda forgot about them over the years. I now have a new kind of tank i want to shoot for. On the note of the tank volume, let me remind you that they probably counted it with the overflow not there because alot of people do not like them and order them without them. It does suck about the light issue though. Also does the sump fit if you pull the tank out? like throught the back? If not that would really stink. I wanted to commend you though on the tank. I like how you built the QT and the resvoir for top offs in the sump, definatly something i need to do for my new tank.

Now questions:
#1- whats the ball park price that cost you?
#2- did the LFS order it for you?
#3- what is the sump made out of?
Old 02-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etunes View Post
On the note of the tank volume, let me remind you that they probably counted it with the overflow not there because alot of people do not like them and order them without them.
Its only 125 INCLUDING the overflow area

[QUOTE=Etunes;1073240]It does suck about the light issue though. Also does the sump fit if you pull the tank out? like throught the back? If not that would really stink.[.quote]

I was able to use a dremel to cut away the plastic end caps on the light to allow the legs to spread out more and I am happy to say that now it works. Yay!

Quote:
I like how you built the QT and the resvoir for top offs in the sump, definatly something i need to do for my new tank.
Thanks. I did alot of research about this before I built the sump and most seasoned aquarists were against the concept. Because of such limited space, I opted to do it anyway as the alternative was no quarantine at all which I felt was worse than the option of integrating one into the sump.

Quote:
#1- whats the ball park price that cost you?
Tanks & Stand = 1048.00
Equipment listed above = 850.00
Acrylic Sump = 200
Protein Skimmer = 250

A total right now of $2348 and I haven't even put a drop of water in it yet.

Quote:
#2- did the LFS order it for you?
Yes

Quote:
#3- what is the sump made out of?
Acrylic (1/4" Plexiglass)
Old 02-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

all I can say is that either there is an extension arm for the rip fence or you could make one out of a piece of plywood and a strip of wood for the ryobi.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is the QT seprate under the tank or is it part of the sump (does it run through so it cintinous in the tank). If it is i can very much see why to be against it because it would just continue the disease you QT the fish for to the DT. If it is seprate then i think it is genius. And the price of this tank just gave me a minirature heart attack.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

From the plans of the sump, i think its a great idea... the 12 gallon qt built right in with a fluval filtering it. at first, i thought it was all built in together. I dont think there will be any criticism

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
150 gallon, 50 gallon, build, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com