A few quick questions.
How much do you guys pay for power for your tanks each month?
I live in japan, it is suprising expensive...
I spend about 50$ for PRE-TANK existence for electricity a month.
After-Tank 150~300$ a month. Turning off the MH
dropped it to 150 a month. So running a couple of 40w flourescents and heating the water/circulating costs me about 90+$ a month, each 150w mh
cost about 75$ a month to run. And i became very frugal with everything else, no TV on while sleeping, turning of lights in rooms i am not in, no air conditioning/heat for myself. (ok i cheated, i bought an electric blanket)
Yeah pretty idiotic huh? My fish live better than me.
So anyways, that is just because i am curious...
Also as I have no friends here who saltwater (we all race cars actually, my friends think i am pretty dumb for owning a tank)
Anyone know of anyone else in japan who is into saltwater? Mainly just like can hook me up with the names of fish etc in japanese. I am getting better, but the fish store guys get tired of me asking what every fish in the tank costs....
1. what some good low light corals? I went FOWLR
after the metal halide incident (i am not rich). I have some button polyps, and green polyps, and one medium sized bubble coral in there...
2. How do i grow algae? I know it sounds dumb, just for food for the herbivores. Grow lamps work? Also, is algae an ok food source? Should i do some sort of addition to it? it is much easier for me if they graze all the time... not because i am lazy, but i hate fish that rush the front of the tank when i walk in the room. I want them to be used to me, but not like puppy dogs. I like to watch them just interacting and swimming around. Also a reason i dont want to use some sort of pellet or something to drop into the water. To feed them... i like to keep down on the owner/fish relationship. (why i dont own a puppy)
3. Most energy efficient source of lighting?
4. Anyone ever heard of growing mangroves outside? Pumping water to a terrarium outside so they can grown in natural sunlight? (not to mention i have a dead mangrove and still not found a grow lamp over here)
5. How do you guys treat the start ups of ich? prefer to pull and freshwater dip them? As i have no access to copper based treatments or anything over here (for dip not the tank... controlled substance the fish store guy says he cant even get em) I usually leave them in the tank and let them heal naturally... i figure that is better from a stress aspect...
6. One final thing, there are a lot of really odd fish over here that i havent seen anyone online having... anyone know of really good/cool fish that are only available over here i should be looking for?