Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2004, 01:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Japan Saltwater

Hello,

A few quick questions.

How much do you guys pay for power for your tanks each month?

I live in japan, it is suprising expensive...

I spend about 50$ for PRE-TANK existence for electricity a month.

After-Tank 150~300$ a month. Turning off the MH dropped it to 150 a month. So running a couple of 40w flourescents and heating the water/circulating costs me about 90+$ a month, each 150w mh cost about 75$ a month to run. And i became very frugal with everything else, no TV on while sleeping, turning of lights in rooms i am not in, no air conditioning/heat for myself. (ok i cheated, i bought an electric blanket)

Yeah pretty idiotic huh? My fish live better than me.

So anyways, that is just because i am curious...

Also as I have no friends here who saltwater (we all race cars actually, my friends think i am pretty dumb for owning a tank)

Anyone know of anyone else in japan who is into saltwater? Mainly just like can hook me up with the names of fish etc in japanese. I am getting better, but the fish store guys get tired of me asking what every fish in the tank costs....

ALSO

1. what some good low light corals? I went FOWLR after the metal halide incident (i am not rich). I have some button polyps, and green polyps, and one medium sized bubble coral in there...

2. How do i grow algae? I know it sounds dumb, just for food for the herbivores. Grow lamps work? Also, is algae an ok food source? Should i do some sort of addition to it? it is much easier for me if they graze all the time... not because i am lazy, but i hate fish that rush the front of the tank when i walk in the room. I want them to be used to me, but not like puppy dogs. I like to watch them just interacting and swimming around. Also a reason i dont want to use some sort of pellet or something to drop into the water. To feed them... i like to keep down on the owner/fish relationship. (why i dont own a puppy)

3. Most energy efficient source of lighting?

4. Anyone ever heard of growing mangroves outside? Pumping water to a terrarium outside so they can grown in natural sunlight? (not to mention i have a dead mangrove and still not found a grow lamp over here)

5. How do you guys treat the start ups of ich? prefer to pull and freshwater dip them? As i have no access to copper based treatments or anything over here (for dip not the tank... controlled substance the fish store guy says he cant even get em) I usually leave them in the tank and let them heal naturally... i figure that is better from a stress aspect...

6. One final thing, there are a lot of really odd fish over here that i havent seen anyone online having... anyone know of really good/cool fish that are only available over here i should be looking for?

Old 05-26-2004, 12:18 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com

i'm honestly not sure how much electricity i'm using for my tank. but i'm only paying around $100 US for electricity a month and we're not exactly frugal with our electricity usage...

I can't say as I know anyone in Japan, period ) let alone anyone into the hobby over there (except you obviously)

so, on to your numbered ?s

1) Mushrooms and Zoos can add a good bit of life and don't require high amounts of light. Leather corals are a mod-low light coral as well.

2) it's not dumb at all. Lots of folks grow macro algaes in their refugiums specifically for feeding there herbivor fish. a grow light would work, but any PC set up would work just fine.

3) most energy efficient source of light? the sun after that, PC lights get you decent lighting without an extremely high wattage use.

4) sorry, can't help there.

5) most folks here reccomend pulling the fish from the display tank, FW dip, then QT for 4-6 weeks leaving the display tank fallow to allow the ich paracites to die off without any hosts, meanwhile treating the QT tank.

6) can't recommend any fish, but I highly caution purchasing something that you have not researched fully. Both for the fish's own health and for the health of the other creatures in your tank. the fish itself could die from an inappropriate diet/habitat etc or it could end destroying everything else in your tank either from a chemical toxin (many marine animals have these as a form of defense) or from simply deciding everything looked really tasty 8O Research throughly before you buy.

Again, welcome!

Old 05-26-2004, 12:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyZ
1) Mushrooms and Zoos can add a good bit of life and don't require high amounts of light. Leather corals are a mod-low light coral as well.
Maybe I'm just going crazy, but I had read..somewhere.. that leathers require moderate to high light...?
Old 05-26-2004, 04:45 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Leathers are very adaptable. They do best in moderate to high light but will tolerate some lower light conditions, depending on how low

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 09:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Quote:
Leathers are very adaptable.
In my experience, 90 watts of NO won't cut it. lol
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 09:18 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I was responding to Hypostomus' post, not KantoKing's

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 09:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Quote:
I was responding to Hypostomus' post, not KantoKing's

Right. I was just mentioning that mine didn't do well under 90 watts. incase anyone wanted to get an idea on how low not to go. sorry for the confusion.

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com