Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2002, 05:46 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
jawfish

i am very interested in these creatures. does anybody own some. i would like to hear your experieces good or bad.

Old 11-21-2002, 09:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
Mine built a really nice cave and it was really cool. Then it went carpet surfing.

Old 11-22-2002, 04:11 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
hey banguy. could you tell me the requirements for breeding bangii cardinals. i have a 20 gallon i was thinking of setting up for breeding.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Check out this info on the Bangaii.......Pterapogon kauderni Koumans, 1933
Family: Apogonidae (Cardinalfishes), subfamily: Apogoninae picture (Ptkau_u0.jpg) by Germeau, G./ Doumont, Y.

Order: Perciformes
Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)
FishBase name: Banggai cardinal fish
Max. size: 8.0 cm TL (male/unsexed; Ref. 35396)
Environment: demersal; marine
Climate: tropical
Importance: fisheries: of no interest; aquarium: commercial
Resilience: Low, minimum population doubling time 4.5 - 14 years (tm<1; Fec=12)
Distribution: Gazetteer Apparently restricted to Banggai Is., Indonesia. Threatened by extinction due to collection for the aquarium trade (Ref. 27438, 35396).
Diagnosis: Dorsal spines (total): 8-8; Dorsal soft rays (total): 14-14; Anal spines: 2-2; Anal soft rays: 13-13. Easily recorgnized by its tasseled first dorsal fin, elongate anal and second dorsal fin rays, deeply forked caudal fin and striking color pattern.
Biology: Common around the jetty, in silty sand bottoms with seagrass (Enhalus acoroides). Associated with Diadema setosum, the long-spined sea urchins. Individuals of 2 to 60 hover directly above the urchins, with the younger ones about 2 - 3 cm SL staying closer to the urchins. The fish retreat among the spines when threatened. Probably feed on small benthic and planktonic crustaceans at night. Male incubates the eggs until hatching; the large egg about 2.5 mm in diameter, with the young remaining within the mouth cavity for undetermined period after hatching (Ref. 9936). Has been reared in captivity (Ref. 35417).

More info at this link http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?genusname=Pterapogon&speciesnam e=kauderni
Old 11-23-2002, 02:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to rthoman Send a message via MSN to rthoman Send a message via Yahoo to rthoman
jawfish

well someone walked in to my apt one day and they had a jawfish in there hands. they didn't even ask me, they were at the LFS and they liked it so they bought it for me. I had it for a few weeks then it dissapeared. I have no idea what happend to it.
Old 11-23-2002, 10:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealprater
hey banguy. could you tell me the requirements for breeding bangii cardinals. i have a 20 gallon i was thinking of setting up for breeding.
hey Michael,

I don't know if I ever answered you. If not feel free to start a new thread and I can help you. I don't like hijacking someone else's thread Doesn't mean I never do it :p just means I feel guilty later.

Guy

Tags
jawfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com