Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Feron Send a message via Yahoo to Feron
Jawfish and other bottom dweller compatibility

I have two yellow headed jawfish (awesome little guys), and I understand they can be especially nervous fish (how could ya not with those huge eyes!).
Unfortunatly, they do a bit of covering up of detrious and food scraps before the hermits and snails can effectivly get to it sometimes. I was thinking of adding more bottom sifters.
I understand that brittle stars and other bottom dweller fish are out, due to either being fish eaters or terrotorial with the jawfish.
But I was hoping that more hermits and snails as well as a few nudibranches would be ok.
The nudibranches (lettuce leaf type?) would be an interesting addition and would fulfill what I want, but I was hoping they wouldn't irritate the jawfish too much.

Do things like nudies and cukes tend to shy away from bottom living fish?

TIA

Old 01-20-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
you really need to research some of the items you have mentioned such as the lettuce nudi. http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/...d=1&item_id=37
They are very specialized feeders and you do not have what is needed to feed them.

Alot of the cucumbers can be toxic.

I see no problems with any of the brittle stars except for the emerald green brittle star
http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/...d=1&item_id=20

Old 01-20-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

FYI, i have a shrimp gobie in with my jawfish no issues... especially after the jawfish has an established hole
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Feron Send a message via Yahoo to Feron

I research everything before I buy anything.. just notions when I ask for advice..
My specific question was more about how the jawfish would react to things wandering the substrate.

Thx for the input Mykpoz, I was afraid of upsetting my little yellow headed builders(and they sure are doozers for sure!)

Tags
bottom, compatibility, jawfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com