Jawfish, clowns, anenome ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AkainePSP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a pearly jawfish (I love him, he's just 2 darn funny!) I also have a pair of perculas. Is it possible to add some type of anenome for the clowns? A man at a saltwater store told me they only will go to certain anenomes. Do I need to worry about the anenome and my jawfish?

Howdy fellow PA-ster! What kind of lighting do you have, what size is the tank? Anemones require varying amounts of light, but the majority require intense lighting and mature tanks preferably over one year old. Some species like E. quadricolor can host clownfish and are less light demanding...but still should only be placed in an optimal environment. A bit more info is needed to give you the big picture.

Just wanted to add, that even though you get an anemone, even one that is specific to your species of clown, doesn't guarantee your clowns will be interested in it.

also adding, some anemone can be very aggressive and could possibly eat your jawfish. Stay away from the carpet anemone for sure.

Is it neccessary for the clowns to have an anenome? I definately need new lights. But I have a 44 gallon corner. I've atached a pic of my tank I took last week before adding the clowns.

Attachments

• dscf0005.jpg
    dscf0005.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 42
no, they can be perfectly happy without one. I have one pair that has an anemone and in anther tank, a pair that does not. The "do nots" are quite content.

Absolutely agree, clowns will simply find somewhere else to find security...whether it be another coral, a cave, powerhead, etc.

Mine were tank bread and never saw an anemone. I put one in and they took to it after about a week. I've since taken it out and they now find powerheads as security blankets.

In fact, since removing the anemone they have become more active. Before they sorta just wanted to stay around the anemone, now they move around a lot and explore.

I will add a new one though when I upgrade my lights.

Back
Top Bottom