Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-16-2004, 09:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
jawfish compatibilit

I recently added a Yellowheaded Jawfish to my 30g reef. After acclimation I dropped him in the tank and immediately my blue fiji damsel began harassing him relentlessly. The damsel has shown no aggression in the past to my 3 clowns and an algae blenny that recently died. Are they going to be ok or should one be removed??

karlseith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 10:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Personally, I'd remove the damsel if you like the jawfish and want him to get established......they do best with more passive tankmates and are prone to jump out of uncovered tanks. You probably already know he needs a deep sandbed (3 + inches minimum) and lots of building materials to construct a burrow. I gave my Bali Tiger Jawfish about 75 hermit crab shells and lots of live rock rubble. Cardinal Fish make a nice tankmate for a jawfish.......HTH

fishgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
yea ya need to get the fiji out at least for a bit !! jawfish need some time to make their homes but once they have their home the fiji will leave him alone !! as for jumping ! a had 2 for over a year untill the tank over heated but no lid on it ! make sure you turn your lights of slowly ! days off then antinics an half hour to an hour later ! also moon lights will help but i gave mine small half clam shells (ya find on the beach)and after the day light would go off they would grab a shell and cover their hole for the night !! if ya didnt know where they made their home ya wouldnt of known where they were just got two more and i left the light on for about 3 days 24 hours for them to get used to everyone one of my favorite fish
good luck keith
scuba_steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com