Jawfish requires cover on a 90g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thinking about getting a Pearl Jawfish (or maybe two) for my 90 gal tank. I don't have a cover for it. Is it really likely that a bottom dwelling fish would jump out of a tank as deep as a 90?

I think they'd be worth some eggcrate though. They sure looked cool! There is a pair of them at the LFS that were sharing a burrow.

I've had a pearly jaw before and I never saw him higher than 8 inches off the tank bottom.
Is anyone else having a hard time finding pearly jaws? The LFS's around here sell them as fast as they get them; when they can even get them at all.

I have never seen it, but I have read these guys are jumpers. I would be careful.

No, it's not a full cover on mine. But I admit it is better to err on the side of caution and get an eggcrate top. One of those prevention things; I just like to live dangerously I guess...

In my previous tank I had two of them. They can and do jump out of tanks especially if they get stressed out. So I'd be careful if you do get one.

They are really cool little fish to have. Mine were so observate of anything moving around. Especially if a hermit crab walked by those little things would get tossed by the jawfish.

Stupid question and some what off topic, but where can you find egg crate for a tank. I've been looking and cant find any to fit my tank. Online orders?

Home Depot or Lowes....possibly any hardware store. It is actully the "graph" like plsatis you would see on a flourscent light, the covering.

Back
Top Bottom