Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2005, 07:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Jawing about jawfish...

From my limited but developing understanding of fish behavior, it seems that many, if not most, burrowing fish prefer/need a sand bed of 3" or more. I'm planning to use less. Could I bury a few lengths of 1" PVC to both serve as live rock supports and home for these little guys? (I would perforate the tubes and leave the ends open to keep some circulation in them.)

Guy at LFS told me a shallow bed is ok; the fish will move the sand where they think it should go (yikes!). ??????

Also, do I need a pebbly substrate? I was hoping to use oolitic size for a shallow bed (1"-2") in the hopes of coaxing at least a few denitrifying bacteria to set up shop- in spite of the shallow bed.

Ah yes, man's never-ending quest for knowledge.

BTW, with the mounting expenses of setting up, we no refer to this as a "hobby" in our house. It has become an "investment". I just hope this one fares better than my stock portfolio and mutual funds have over the last few years.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes the jaw fish will move the sand around to make the home they like ! you will find that they will prob not like the pvc tubes as homes its not natural ! i could be wrong but ime ive never had them do that my self ! pebbles are not really the way to go imo ! i have found they like to uses small shells or small lr rubble ! how much sand are you going to have ? also best imo to add these fish first if you can ! you can look at my gallery at the yellow heads i had for a long time till the tank overheated they didnt make it :-(

Old 01-25-2005, 10:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
how much sand are you going to have
I'm hoping to get by with between 1" and 2" (because I have a small tank), but I've read that these little diggers really like more depth to play with.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

yea but they will make due with that ! they will find a rock to burry under

Tags
jawfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com