Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2016, 06:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Jawless jawfish

I have a yellow goby that seems to have his bottom jaw missing . I didn't notice it when I bought him as when I put him in the tank he disappeared for about 5 days he was my first fish in the main tank . All my parameters are perfect 0 ammonia and nitrite also nitrates at 5 ppm ph 8.2 salt 1.25 , I don't want to treat him as he doesn't seem to have anything else wrong with him apart from this . He is eating and doing everything that gobys do . I don't want to take him back to Lfs as they will probably kill him . He has a great personality . Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems

Old 04-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Sounds like a death sentence and curious as to how it is eating without a lower jaw.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sorry should have been more specific it's a hole in his lower jaw . I have been watching him like a hawk , turn off wave maker so the water slows down a bit but he is eating really well . I thought that it would be a case of him starving to death slowly and if that was the case I would catch him and euthanise him so he wouldn't suffer . Strange indeed , just wanted to know if anyone else had come across this
Old 04-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not really the same thing, but I have a betta that had half of her mouth bitten off by my breeder male (bottom jaw split in the middle, one side torn off). She has spent the past 2 years in my community tank and has done fine.

Good luck with the poor little fella!!
ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks I'm sure he will be ok but I will keep everyone updated on treatments if necessary and any thing else going with the little fella will try to upload a photo if I can
Old 07-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Jawless goby

Hi guys , I wrote a thread about my yellow goby who was missing half his bottom jaw ,well I just want to let you know he's doing fine and I have introduced a candy cane pistol shrimp who he's taken to sharing a hole . Problem is they are round the back of the tank 😬😬 but he's feeding well just a little slower 👍🏽👍🏽

Tags
fish, jawfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com