Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brauny View Post
So what is the different between the Coralife Biocube 29 Gallon and the Oceanic HQI BIocube 29 Gallon? Price is $289 vs. $449 Is it worth it for $160 to do the HQI.
HQI is the light. Metal halide. You can keep pretty much what you want. The regular BC29 are PC or power compacts. Limited corals.

Depends on what you wanna keep.

Regular BC

Mushrooms
Leathers
Zoas
Ricordias
Xenia

HQI

Monti
SPS
clams
Nems

Others too. Look up low light corals and higher light corals.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
HQI is the light. Metal halide. You can keep pretty much what you want. The regular BC29 are PC or power compacts. Limited corals.

Depends on what you wanna keep.

Regular BC

Mushrooms
Leathers
Zoas
Ricordias
Xenia

HQI

Monti
SPS
clams
Nems

Others too. Look up low light corals and higher light corals.
But you modified your lighting so I am wondering if I go with the nice light you got and get the normal Biocube. Or is it best to start with the HQI and do a few mods. Just need direction from the experts. Let me know what I need as I will purchase tomorrow.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well my light with the controller was about 480.00. So.. If you wanna cut into your hood and spend the money then get the regular one.

The HQI has a better light BUT you can mod that also by adding the AI NANO. It will fit right into the spot where the metal halide goes. I love AI's LED fixture. You can customize it so it slowly ramps up to noon and back down to moonlight. You can even set it up for lighting storm effects.

It's a pretty cool light and can support anything.

The choice is really what you wanna mod and spend. Spend less on the tank and more on mods? Or vise versa.

The regular BC does have for mods available the HQI for some reason is limited. Not by much BUT limited non the less.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok so it sounds like you think the HQI and mod the fixture with the AI nano at some point. What is better for a beginner, HQI or REgular, just based off of price and what the capabilities with no mods. Can you text me, I PM'd my phone number? As I am going today to look.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck today!! Can't wait to see what you get. Hope you got my last few text messages.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Good luck today!! Can't wait to see what you get. Hope you got my last few text messages.
Thanks, visited 4 different shops with my engineer nephew and all different opinions. I will buy online tomorrow and can't wait to start.

One opinion they all said was to add live sand first then live rock, when I thought it would the opposite. Which is it?

Also decided to go with the 29 Coralife biocube and upgrade to LED lighting and a few other MODS since recommendations from this thread say skimmer is not worth it and lighting should be modified anyhow. Will keep you updated.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure why they would say that BUT... Add your rock first. Do your rock scape then add the same.

Reasons;

If you get sand sifting inverts they will move sand around and cause for a unstable scape.

Also if you get fish, like some goby's or say a pistol shrimp that also like to dig and can dig for days. You'll end up shifting the rock work and could cause damage to your fish and or tank.

Play it safe. Do the rock work then add your sand Make sure your rocks are stable and placed well so you don't have a rockslide, I did when I first started and its NOT fun.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I'm not sure why they would say that BUT... Add your rock first. Do your rock scape then add the same.

Reasons;

If you get sand sifting inverts they will move sand around and cause for a unstable scape.

Also if you get fish, like some goby's or say a pistol shrimp that also like to dig and can dig for days. You'll end up shifting the rock work and could cause damage to your fish and or tank.

Play it safe. Do the rock work then add your sand Make sure your rocks are stable and placed well so you don't have a rockslide, I did when I first started and its NOT fun.
Yes I am going with your advice Dino, not theirs, didn't sound right to me, who cares about the cloudiness at first, I don't expect my tank to be clear anyhow right away, I mean come on. Thanks again for being there. Purchase for the day was my nephews 3 Tee-Barbs and a good lunch
Old 01-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brauny View Post

Yes I am going with your advice Dino, not theirs, didn't sound right to me, who cares about the cloudiness at first, I don't expect my tank to be clear anyhow right away, I mean come on. Thanks again for being there. Purchase for the day was my nephews 3 Tee-Barbs and a good lunch
Anytime bro, glad you got it all figured out and had a great day!!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dino I plan on investing in a RO system and installing it near my water softener in the basement with a garbage can so I have my own RO water. What do you think? System is like $140 or less. You think I should do this?

Tags
bio, biocube, cube, jbj, oceanic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com