JBJ or Oceanic 29 Biocube or IM Nuvo 38?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brauny

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am new to this site and am trying to pick the brains of those who may have the all in one salt water tanks. I want to do a reef style, but torn between the 3 tanks. Price is an issue and all of the upgrades you talk about, I am not sure I would know how to do the upgrade. Any help steering me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thank you, Brauny

biocube 29 hqi.
you can take off the glass canopy if your fish aren't jumpers and heat shouldn't be an issue.
you can grow anything under the sun and don't need to upgrade lights.

the standard biocube 29 can still grow a lot if you're more interested in soft corals (typically easier) and it's cheaper.

biocube 29 hqi.
you can take off the glass canopy if your fish aren't jumpers and heat shouldn't be an issue.
you can grow anything under the sun and don't need to upgrade lights.

the standard biocube 29 can still grow a lot if you're more interested in soft corals (typically easier) and it's cheaper.

Ok great, so you are endorsing the Oceanic 29 HQI Biocube correct? That was the one I was looking at. Does a skimmer come with it?

Ok great, so you are endorsing the Oceanic 29 HQI Biocube correct? That was the one I was looking at. Does a skimmer come with it?

that's the route i would go if i was a complete beginner and wanted a tank around that size. It comes with the skimmer. It's not the best, but it helps some. With a tank that size it's easy to keep up with water changes anyway.

Have you had one of these? What upgrades would or should I make, my budget for the tank and accessories to start is $600, not counting the live rock, sand, etc.

Have you had one of these? What upgrades would or should I make, my budget for the tank and accessories to start is $600, not counting the live rock, sand, etc.

No upgrades per say. You'll need a heater, a powerhead, salt, and some test kits.

If you wanna mod out your cube there's a few routes you can go. The HQI would be best as the lighting is good and if you wanted to go further you can get the AI NANO and it fits right into the slot for the HQI.

http://youtu.be/W609NWtk60o

If you wanna mod out your cube there's a few routes you can go. The HQI would be best as the lighting is good and if you wanted to go further you can get the AI NANO and it fits right into the slot for the HQI.

Biocube HQI 29 light mod with ai nano sol super blue LED - YouTube

How is this light for $140 on Amazon? Is the light it comes with OK for a beginner or would you recommend getting what you have right away. Also how did you modify it?

TaoTronics TT-AL01 White Aquarium Coral Reef Tank LED Grow Light (120W Output, Blue/White Ratio- 25:30; Two-Year Warranty)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does inTank just make supplies or upgrades or do they also sell the tanks?

Just upgrades, mods etc... Also supplies like poly floss,purigen, nano mags. Things like that.

BioCube 29 HQI

Also you don't need a skimmer IF you do your weekly water changes. I do 5 gallon water changes every Saturday.
What do your weekly water changes consist of?

I change out my poly floss, and do a 5 gallon water change using Instant Ocean reef crystals.

I also want to point out that I do change out my poly floss 2x's a week.

I change out my poly floss, and do a 5 gallon water change using Instant Ocean reef crystals.

I also want to point out that I do change out my poly floss 2x's a week.

How much poly floss do you use and if I got a protein skimmer, what water changes would I make then, once a month and then what with poly floss only when I do water changes.

So when you do a water change I would mix instant ocean per 5 gallons of water, whatever the measurements state.

How much poly floss do you use and if I got a protein skimmer, what water changes would I make then, once a month and then what with poly floss only when I do water changes.

So when you do a water change I would mix instant ocean per 5 gallons of water, whatever the measurements state.

You just cut a piece to fit inside the inTank media rack. A little square. IMO a skimmer is useless in the bio cube 29. Just do your weekly water changes. Don't skimp on them and you'll be fine. I'm a little overboard so I change out my poly floss in the middle of the week also.

Any other questions just feel free to ask.

Back
Top Bottom