Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2004, 09:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Jebo 2003 protein skimmer???

Does anybody have any expereince with the jebo 2003 protein skimmer. I found it on ebay for $25 and I just could not resist buying it. I know people say not to skimp on a skimmer but I have just completely run out of money. My hubby is quite handy so he feels that if it needs any tweaking he can do that. Plus if it is horrible I will save some money and get a better one at least this would be something for now.
So does anybody have any expereince with these or any advice.

Thanks
Christina

Old 06-03-2004, 05:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have one of these, it has gone nuts on me 3 times so far since March. Once this past weekend when we went out of town and pumped out about 15 gallons of water which then splashed on the power strip( my fault I guess) and it melted, burned a spot on the floor, and really scared the crap out of us. I havent plugged it back in yet. Good Luck. Oh yeah, before you plug it in to start it take off the air intake control valve thing or it will flood you in about 5 seconds.

Old 06-03-2004, 05:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got one of those critters for one of my tanks to try it out. I drilled an overflow grid in the top of the cup and plumbed 1" tubing back into the tank because this thing WILL overflow at one point or another, if the airline ever gets clogged (it had tried to overflow once already) I purposely made it overflow to test it out and it works.

other than that it works OK - the powerhead is sorta cheezy but it works fine.

If you would like pics I would be happy to do so. Basically all you aredoing is allowing a way for the liquid to get back into the tank instead of onto the floor in the event of an overflow.

The way the skimmer works is: the air intake tube (which is just airline tubing) feeds into the intake of the powerhead, creating a foamy mixture of air and water. If this little air intake tube is blocked, the powerhead does it's job and pumps water into the skimmer and the cup fills up and begins to overflow in about 5 seconds as twtybrd said.

I have been running it for a few months now and it makes decent foam and stuff. Occasionally it makes a rhythmic rumm-rumm-rumm sound but you can adjust the airflow to make it go away.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Never tried the skimmer but prior buying my fluval 304 canister filter i done some market survey n Jebo also have their own canister filter line.

Basically its a China(or Taiwan, cant read chinese ) brand where it copied all the Eheim design n sell it at 1/4 of Ehiem price. Base on sevaral lfs, jebo filter have bad workmanship n the parts is poorly made. Probabily this might reflect to the skimmer line as well.

hth
Old 06-04-2004, 12:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

snapcracklr, if you could send me pics that would be great. I like your overflow idea. Like I mentioned my hubby is handy so he can definately do that. We are actually planning on doing an overflow drain on our sump for the same reason to prevent permanent damage to my house or anything else.

Is yours an in sump or a hangon. If this is going in my sump will I have the same overflow problem?

Again I figured it was not the best but I just couldn't beat the price. You can't get a powerhead that cheap. So I will use it for a while and when money is a little more settled I will work on getting a GOOD one.

Thanks again for the advice it will definately help!!!

Christina
tuwhada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 11:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sure let me get some pics when I get home. Mine is the hang on. And like vega said they are cheeeep. LOL

I would rather have even this supercheap jebo than one of those JUNK visijet 100s (my first skimmer) MAN those things are junk.

My most favorite skimmer yet is probably my remora. nice quiet efficient skimmer.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok great... so if I am going to put mine in the sump I probably do not have to worry about it overflowing b/c it will overflow into the sump correct????

I have a 90 gallon so i can not get the remora. That was hte one drawback with the Jebo is that it is rated up to 90 gallons... so I will be maxing it out but again the price... It will only be temporary.

Thanks again
Christina
Old 06-04-2004, 11:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yepper you are right about the sump deal, the overflow would fall on whatever is below the cup.

Here are pics of my overflow plumbing on my cheapo jebo.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks
Old 06-07-2004, 04:10 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

This skimmer is really bad. Buyer beware: If used as a hang on back it will eventually flood your floor with lots of water! The air line gets clogged once a month or so and your floor is soaked. If you are not handy and prepared to add the overflow forget this jebo. It actually does not produce much skimmate, either. I'm waiting for my Aqua C remora to be shipped now...

Tags
jebo, protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com