JOM20's 38g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice Zoas JOM. Cant wait to get some too. Wont look as nice in picture tho because your camera is great lol.

Is that branchy thing soft or hard. If hard I think it may be some sort of macroalgae if it is soft it may be some sort of sponge and those might irritate your Zoas.
Looks easy enougn to just remove it and be safe.

Do as TC says and rip out that assumed macro....I have similar and once it sets in it acts like a weed and breaks apart very easily, thus new colonies elsewhere. I'd take the rock out and scrape it off, then running under water.

Did some testing today and this was the results:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10
pH: 7.8 (its stable, so i'm not worried)

I was planning a water change for today, but I didn't get it done. Hopefully tomorrow or the next day it will happen. I think I'll test everything else before the water change.

I fixed the conduit to hang my light fixture. Right now I have it hanging about 1-2" up (from the legs to the tank rim). I can get my arms in better to mess with the tank like that, so I'm gonna leave it.

I also think I got my skimmer working. The water level in the first chamber stays above the intake of the pump now....still not even half of the chamber, but I really don't know how high its supposed to be. The siphon atleast appears to be working though. :rolleyes:

And I finished the screen top. So, hopefully nothing can jump out.

I'm getting 7 frags from a friend. 6 various Zoas and 1 Clove Polyp frag. They will be here tomorrow!

If my parameters stay good, I plan on going to the lfs on Saturday to get the Hi Fin Banded Goby, if they still have it. And I'll check out their corals and see if any need to come home with me. :)

Clowns are doing well. They finally ate today. Not voraciously, but I'm not so worried about them anymore. They ate some flakes and pellets. Hopefully they'll be more voracious about mysis. They didn't really go for it last time I tried.

Pics tomorrow or Thursday!

I'm glad to hear you got the skimmer running and your tank is doing well. As thominil said they love frozen brine, brine/spirulina and mysis. The funny thing with the frozen mysis is that they sometimes get spooked because some of the shrimp are pretty big but eventually after studying it, eat it.

Oh yeah, where are the pics?

Pics (click for bigger)!

3862929855_2dbb1d0f39_b.jpg

3863719108_6bc2e6dfa9_b.jpg

3862929529_e1860df254_b.jpg

3863711736_9ddcb790b0_o.jpg

3862930293_296c9c39e0_b.jpg

(the ones I already had)

No pic of the Clove Polyp frag yet....had to glue it back to the rock, so its not quite happy yet. :D

There are 3 more Zoa frags that aren't pictured. One hasn't opened up yet and 2 others I couldn't get good pics of.

Great frags JOM. Just wait until those bad boys start to spread on to your other rocks. Then its going to look even more amazing.

Dude, if i ever get my SW tank up and running you guys better share some frags. lol. :)

my gawd those frags look awfully familiar XD

Can't wait to see them once they grow and spread!

Back
Top Bottom