Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #11
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
Made my Drs F&S order today!

This is what I have coming:

2 Koralia 1 powerheads
API Master SW kit
Hagen Calcium kit
API Phosphate kit
250w Stealth Heater
Oceanic salt mix - 200g mix
Digital thermometer
Flakes and pellets (just in case the fish I choose eat these)
Calibration fluid for the refractometer
Nets (no sharing with FW)

I have some Aragonite sand (Caribsea Aragamax Select) on its way from Big Als Online and a refractometer from ebay.

I still need a background. I will consider blue, Andrew! I'll probably get both blue and black (obviously not permanent ones) and see which I like better with liverock, lights, fish and stuff.

I'm getting closer! Next is rock...gotta figure out how much I'm going to buy and where to get it from!

I'm planning on getting mostly base rock from Marcorocks.com. I like the dry Key Largo rock and I was planning on getting 50lbs of that. Then I'll get some live rock from somewhere and get probably 15-20lbs of it. So total I'll have 65-70lbs. I read that 1.5-2lbs/gallon is good. Any one think different?? I'm up for suggestions/comments on my plans! Marcorocks has a 40lb and 25lb box as well, if you think I should get less.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I'd say you are spot on. Looks like a good list to me!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes, 1.5-2 gallons a pound is fine. you shoould see the rock that marcorocks sends you. it is really nice quality rock!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #14
Algae Fighter

Thanks guys!

Yes, that is what I've heard fishmonkey! Can't wait to have some rock from there myself so I can see!

Old 07-24-2009, 04:55 AM   #15
is back to save the day!

I know you hear different from other people about the background, but black looks really good on reef tanks. I saw a 75G reef tank with a clean black background and it really complimented every single color of the corals and the rock and fish. Blue is so.. plain and IMO, it would just make it look like a tank from the pet store like they do in petsmart or petco. :/ Still, its all personal preference.

Why base rock though? Dont you want all those critters and extras? Also, if you get the uncured LR, then it will cycle your tank all on its own. JMO though. ;D
Old 07-24-2009, 07:01 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I bought 50lbs of the marcos rock and love the way it looks, good prices and quick shipping.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:05 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is picture of my rock with the Blue background just to give you an idea. Hope this helps. The rock is comprised of 50lbs Marcos and 50lbs LR. The power heads are Koralia 3's.
Click image for larger version

Name:	T5-Full.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	19803
Old 07-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #18
Algae Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksyz View Post
I know you hear different from other people about the background, but black looks really good on reef tanks. I saw a 75G reef tank with a clean black background and it really complimented every single color of the corals and the rock and fish. Blue is so.. plain and IMO, it would just make it look like a tank from the pet store like they do in petsmart or petco. :/ Still, its all personal preference.

Why base rock though? Dont you want all those critters and extras? Also, if you get the uncured LR, then it will cycle your tank all on its own. JMO though. ;D
Thanks for the input on the background, link!

I'm going to get mostly base rock for the cost, mainly. Its just alot cheaper to get mostly base rock. I do want some critters, but they will be on the liverock I'll get and eventually the base rock will be live. I'm still not certain on how much base rock I'll buy. I'm gonna compare prices first.

Keith, your tank looks great! I like your tank with a blue background! I'm gonna have to get both and then see which I like best when I get my light fixture. Nice looking rock too!

Old 07-24-2009, 10:35 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Kristen, everything in this hobby requires great planning and every decision is difficult.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #20
Sliced Bread

I really like the blue, but I really don't like how much my black equipment stands out against it. If I had it to do all over again, I'd paint mine black next time. JMO.

Picking what salt is "best" is like arguing over what color car to get- everyone has their own opinion. Here's some analysis data that might help your research.
http://aquariumwatertesting.com/AWT_...lysis_0208.pdf

Tags
build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com