JOM20's 38g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
3756720508_0716081301.jpg

I got my refractometer yesterday! Bought it on ebay. :) I haven't calibrated it yet because I don't have my ro/di filter hooked up yet. That will happen on Tuesday.

I'm expecting my sand on Monday and my Drs F&S stuff on the 29th. I'll take pics of things when I get them!

Last edited:
Is there instructions on calibrating the refractometer? because i have no clue how.

The truly best way is to use a solution that is the same as NSW, but RO/DI with 0 TDS is a decent guage if you don't have the solution.

Ohh I forgot! I ordered calibration fluid from Drs F&S. Doh! So yeah, I'll wait until then to try to calibrate it. :D The instructions to using it look like they were translated to english from some other language. So, if I can't figure out exactly how to use it (doesn't seem that hard) I may need some assistance.

Oh Em Gee! I've got the same one! lol. All you've got to do to calibrate it, is only put a drop of water on the glass part, then close the sunlid and make sure it spreads all the water out on the lens. Then use the screwdriver it came with, and see that little black dot on the top? That rubber piece comes off and theres a small hole in there. After you put the screw driver in there, look into the eye piece and turn the screwdriver until the white line is exactly at 0. Wa-la you've calibrated it. But like roka said, either do this with ro/di water or with calibration fluid. I practiced calibrating mine with regular water, so thats why i know how to do it. If you do need any help JOM20, just PM me!! :D

Oh Em Gee! I've got the same one! lol. All you've got to do to calibrate it, is only put a drop of water on the glass part, then close the sunlid and make sure it spreads all the water out on the lens. Then use the screwdriver it came with, and see that little black dot on the top? That rubber piece comes off and theres a small hole in there. After you put the screw driver in there, look into the eye piece and turn the screwdriver until the white line is exactly at 0. Wa-la you've calibrated it. But like roka said, either do this with ro/di water or with calibration fluid. I practiced calibrating mine with regular water, so thats why i know how to do it. If you do need any help JOM20, just PM me!! :D
Actually this has helped me. Thank you.:D

I got my sand yesterday but I haven't taken a pic of the bag yet (not that exciting...). I thought my Drs F&S order would be here today, but it didn't show, so it will come tomorrow! I'll take pics of all the goodies I get. I ordered my base rock tonight. 50lbs of Key Largo base rock from marcorocks.com. I probably won't use it all...I'll have to see. I'm going to order some live rock this week too. Gotta decide the best time so that I can start cycling the tank when it gets here. I'll put sand in then as well.

I didn't get my RO/DI hooked up today but I got the parts to do so. I'll probably do that Thurs. evening or tomorrow evening if I get off early (not something I want to do after working 12 hours!). I'll take pics! Doesn't seem that hard to do, but I'm still nervous about it. I'm going to run it inline with my cold water supply under the bathroom sink.

Last edited:
I have the exact same refractometer, it tells you to use distilled water to calibrate it, when I tested it to calibrate with distilled water, the calibration was [perfect right out of the box]. jfyi

The rock was shipped today...I just ordered it last night (base rock).

The equipment didn't come today! My salt did though. Drs F&S sent 2 shipments, but I thought the equipment would come today. Its scheduled for Friday though. :(

I didn't get any pics of the sand or salt bucket. :D I'll get pics of it and then the equipment on Friday.

Live rock will be ordered soon!

:( Sorry that your equipment didnt come today. :( But im glad other things are working out for you!! Im excited for this build!! I cant wait 'till you start taking some pics of the building process. :D

also, you should hook up that RO unit and taste some of its water. Its wicked wierd.

I honestly cant really tell you. Its one of those things that has its own taste lol. It also leaves a weird taste in your mouth after you've drank it.

imo RO/DI water + RO/DI ice is the best glass of water you could ever have. my parents have well water out in the country that is ran through a high dollar ro/di and a sweet ice maker than makes little 1/2"x1/2"x1/4" ice cubes.

I'd rather drink that water than anythings I think.

Back
Top Bottom