JOM20's 38g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks! I'll post an updated full tank shot when I get more of the hair algae under control...or atleast what is on the glass.

As you can tell I'm very fond of Zoas and Palys. :D

Wow Kristin those corals are looking fantastic! Wish i had a tank right now to put coral in.. :p Soon enough though ;) I'm getting a 30 gallon square rimless shallow reef tank and it's going to be sweet. :)

Looking forward to more pics when the hair algae clears up! Even though i could care less about it because the beauty is in the coral.

Kristin, looks like you will need a larger tank soon
Very nice...

Thanks for all the nice comments! Thincat, I think I already need a larger tank. Looks like that 50g upgrade I want when I move might need to be a 75g. FWIW I'm done with the fish stocking. And I am pretty much out of room for corals, so I'll have to resist buying anything new until I upgrade.

Finally, a full tank shot, or 2 to make up for lost time!

4441340527_db56e3b027.jpg

4441324607_9db6e713e9.jpg

under actinics

I just did a water change last night...and the water was at the top last night, now I have to top off again.

As you can see, the tank looks alot better (or maybe only I can tell...haha). The hair algae isn't coming back on the walls of the tank like it was. I still haven't done anything to the rocks and am still contemplating cooking them in rubbermaid tubs.

I have increased my water changes to 10 gallons each week from 5g. I have added an aquaclear 70 that I turned into a refugium with rock rubble and chaeto. I have added more snails to my clean up crew and a lawnmower blenny who will have plenty of algae to eat.

Now for more pics!

4442116908_275aff85a1.jpg

Marvin the Lawnmower Blenny, my new fav fish

4441322679_a9c0a010d9.jpg

Ric

4442102386_efa0e74d08.jpg

Chaeto...a little green for St. Patty's Day

4441319535_f94278a45a.jpg

Palys

4442096326_cd32540d65.jpg

Tiny Red Zoas...I call them Cherry Zoas

Last edited:
More! I can't post here without using 2 posts. :)

4441317293_9780612736.jpg

Zoas on the left

4442094474_6b3f03c0fe.jpg

Front corals...I have since moved the Acan so its not so close to the Plate

4442095312_c059266930.jpg

YWG hanging out looking at himself

4442105958_bbaa057010.jpg

Brain coral still doing well

That's it for now! I started a thread in the New Acquisitions forum with pics of the new guys. Take a look!

Blue xenia is stunning. First I've seen or heard of it. Real nice.

Might wanna put it high. Spreads quick and covers everything as it heads up towards light.

Great new pics!! Tank is sure looking awesome.

Question though..

About the YWG, does he mess around with the sand at all? Or does he just chill like the other fish? I want to get one.. but my sandbed won't be very deep at all, so i'm wondering if it will be ok to get one, even without a massive sandbed. Whatdya think?

Will do, Ray. Mine hasn't spread a whole lot yet, but I know its coming.

Kevin, from what my friend has told me about his, the YWG hangs out under rocks and around the rocks and doesn't need alot of sand. I asked about that when I was considering it because I don't have alot of sand either....I've sucked alot of mine up when I had cyano.

Thanks for the info Kristin, i appreciate it. I think i will definitely be getting a YWG when my 40 goes up. I never had any plans on a deep sandbed this time around because i was just way too fed up with the last sandbed that was around 3". This time i'll probably put it around 1-1.5".. give or take in some areas. ;p

Anyways, your tank is looking great. Just fantastic.

Just a picture and info update since the last ones. Sadly, my Lawnmower Blenny jumped out of the tank and by the time I found him it was too late. He became my fav fish in the tank that I had him. I will definitely get a new one (after I figure out how he escaped, then fix it). They have so much character!

The other fish are doing well. The Wrasse is still flashing and is usually out and about. The Watchman Goby has made a home in a hole under some rocks. I see him about once a day. He definitely comes out on feeding days. He's cool. I've named him Fredrick.

I haven't moved the Xenia yet...I'll probably do that with next week's water change. The hair algae has definitely receded. There is only a minimal amount on the walls of the tank...most is on the rocks and I still haven't done anything with them. I'm going to see if it will go away with less nutrients.

Now for the pics! I did a water change today so the water is a little bubbly...not cloudy.

4461386024_aeb151622c_b.jpg

4461390898_3c6d5dd5e2_b.jpg

4460608745_12a89a77e0_b.jpg

4461373350_e771ee2230.jpg

4460591165_443680e8bb.jpg

Plate full and closeup
4461307488_d9fbb58a8d.jpg

4460588595_5b5f343cdd.jpg

Acan

More below.

Last edited:
Is that my favorite Carpenter's Fairy flasher wrasse!!

Is the hole the sailfin jumped out of covered yet? If not, that wrasse will find the same hole.

Nice Kristin! :D Love your Flasher. ;) At the top right of your tank is that coral a Trachyphyllia?

Thanks! It is a Wellsophyllia. :)

Thanks TC!

Ray, I have cut out part of the aluminum framing on my top to fit around the filter and skimmer. That makes it cover all the holes, so that should fix the problem. I'm debating on whether I should add more netting to the top to overlap the small holes, but I'm pretty certain they can't get through them. I just have to figure out how to secure the extra netting to the framing. :rolleyes:

Ohh...and its a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse...or atleast that is what I bought it as....haha.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom