JOM20's 38g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"These characteristics originally identified Wellsophyllia corals as separate from Trachyphyllia corals. This distinction is less commonly used now, and the Wellsophyllia Brain Coral is often referred to now as a Trachyphyllia radiata coral."
The above quote is taken from "Live fish.com"

Updated pics! I don't have a FTS yet, but I'll get one soon.

4546770266_401a8da83a.jpg

McCosker's Flasher Wrasse

4546770734_286a9f5b36.jpg

bigger Clown

4546771528_cd85f1500f.jpg

Plate coral....love it!

4546138227_2aa424b69a.jpg

Closer

4546773528_411a671c8f.jpg

Bam Bam Zoas

4546140653_5c7982c763.jpg

Tyree Armageddon Zoa

4546776950_5ce923ac79.jpg

Palys

4546778168_861f4ef46d.jpg

Snail closeup

Still having algae issues and this time its the evil bryopsis....I just had a small patch of it before that never spread, but I guess when the other algaes went away, it took over. I've taken out a bunch of my rocks to "cook them" for awhile in a bucket and see if I can get the algae gone in darkness for a couple weeks. If that doesn't work, I'll just buy some new base rock and slowly add it in. I have started dosing magnesium...trying to get my level to around 1600 which can kill the bryopsis...so I'll see how that goes.

The corals and fish are doing well. I haven't seen my Yellow Watchman Goby in a few days so I assume he is gone. I won't be adding another fish for awhile. Now if I can only keep my smaller Clown out of the skimmer....I'm going to be the one to kill him if he keeps getting in there every day! (just kidding....kind of) 2 days in a row.

Now I'm off to rescue him.....

Updated pics! Here she is in all her glory (or rather with all her algae) :rolleyes:.

4573502884_0390d059c7.jpg

Excuse the hair algae.

4573504826_3498b3528e.jpg

Blue Xenia....need to frag it/chop it down

4573506130_6233f13d80.jpg

Hammer....its like the most resilient coral I have.

4572877347_0b0e2bb460.jpg

Part of my Zoa collection....with some lovely algae

4572875785_93955a1a02.jpg

Zoas.....anyone know what those round things below and to the right of the zoas are? They are randomly on my rocks....probably another algae. :/

4572870767_e7339d5ed7.jpg

Always have to take a pic of the plate. I love it.

That's it!

Sweet! Your tank is awesome. Did you take out some rocks? I think the rockwork looks a little shorter than before.. maybe i'm just insane. Who knows lol. I wish i had your zoas :( They're so nice!

So, seen anything new lately? Like any new critters and such popping out from the rocks? Also.. have you ever figured out yet what's causing all das algae?

Yeah I removed some rocks (a 5g bucket full) I have had it in there with the top on with a powerhead and a heater (set at about 84 degrees) :) for over a week. Trying to discourage algae growth and hopefully kill what is on there (lack of light). I'm going to let them cook for several more days then I'll scrub and see whats up with them. I'm hoping that I don't have to buy more rock, but I'm tired of hair algae and bryopsis covered rocks.

No new critters lately...except those circular things in that zoa pic. Not sure what they are. I haven't added any new critters lately.....and I've actually lost some snails and a fish. That's for another thread though!

This tank has toooo many issues and I've been so close to giving up lately. I'm going to try to truck along and find out what my problems are. :(

The corals and remaining fish are doing so well, so its a mystery to me.

Wow I'm going to set up a tank and just read your entire post... looks good. I hope I have the success you have. Algae is the biggest reasons people quit SW. The algae you have growing in the back of your filter does it have, room to grow and light?

Thanks guys!

Wow I'm going to set up a tank and just read your entire post... looks good. I hope I have the success you have. Algae is the biggest reasons people quit SW. The algae you have growing in the back of your filter does it have, room to grow and light?

I'm sure you will be really successful. :) The algae (chaeto) does have room to grow and it does have light. I sometimes forget to turn the light on, but most days it has light...and it looks good so it isn't hurting...yet.

I'll work on an update photo. I'm still plagued by hair algae so the tank isn't looking pretty. :( After the water change and scrubbing tomorrow, I will take some update pics, pretty or not. I'm hoping to add a couple new fish and more snails next week. So there will definitely be pics then.

Try doing a 50% pwc. In the process, pick hair algae off of your rocks and have the siphon right over so it gets sucked out of the tank. Then you can nuke whats left with some pickling lime just like you would with aiptasia.

I will try that. That is 2 things I haven't tried yet....50% pwc and the pickling lime. I think I have enough buckets...we'll see.

How do you use the pickling lime? Mix a certain amount with water? Just wondering if there is a certain ratio I should use. I have kalkwasser which is the same thing (calcium hydroxide).

Just mix water in until you have a consistency close to toothpaste. Some people will tell you to microwave it, I have never seen the need. Turn off your pumps when you apply it and leave them off for 10 minutes after. Just completely smother the hair algae with it. As soon as that ten minutes is up, turn pumps back on, wait two days and come back and suck the mixture out with a turkey baster or siphon. Works for me, and I have had a bad HA problem too, almost done clearing it up too.

Back
Top Bottom