JOM20's 38g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks awesome! I wouldn't remove any of the base rock, just looks that good...not kidding. Just fill in areas with the live rock and put some on top of the base rock and scatter some in the sand. How long did it take you to scape it?

yeah i agree with thom. what kind of rock is that and whered you get it from (you probably posted it earlier but i am too lazy to go back and check lol)?

nice looking setup!

Where's the "Fish"!..................just kidding..............lol

Thanks!

I got my live rock today and had to squeeze it in there. I did have to take some base rock out :( but I'm going to redo the rockwork before I go to bed or tomorrow. I just don't trust it. I want to make it a little more stable and hopefully try to get more base rock in there. The live rock looks pretty good! I could probably break up the pieces a bit, but I won't be doing that tonight.

fishmonkey: I got my base rock from marcorocks.com. Its the Key Largo base rock.

So I finally set the tank up today! Took me forever to do everything I wanted to do before setting it up, then it took forever to put the rock, sand, and water in! I only have 3 5g buckets, so I had to put 15g of RO/DI in then make more.

But here she is!
3797161176_d2541d6fb9.jpg

filling up

3797159696_6f424fd7ba.jpg

cloudy but you can see the awesome rocks!

This is without the live rock...it will be here tomorrow. :) I ended up using most of the base rock (maybe like 45lbs?). And I used around 40lbs of sand. I put eggcrate below the rocks. I had some here that I wasn't using for anything so I decided to use it. It makes me feel better about all that rock. Then I put the rocks in and then the sand. I made sure I got some sand under part of the rocks so it looked ok.

I might have to take out some of the base rock to make room for the live rock. I'm ok with that though! :)

I added some salt, but I might have to add more before I go to bed. SG was 1.020 and I added a bit more.

I attached the metal conduit to the stand before I filled the tank. I had to guestimate on the location for each since I don't have the light fixture yet. I looked at a pic on another forum that someone took and it looked like the holes for hanging were like 3-4 inches from the ends. We'll see I guess. I just hope I am able to hang the light, even if its just for when I'm doing maintenance, since the fixture is 12" across.

Thoughts??

Looks great! I like how you have your power-heads about midway down in the aquarium ... I think I should do the same. Nice job!

I busted up some of my rocks today and that called for a slight rescape of the rockwork.

Pics:
3802473892_9c1721f712.jpg

3801659817_1552ab913b.jpg

And the metal conduit light hanger things:
3801661931_94bab19189.jpg

They might be a bit uneven, but the pic was taken at an angle, so it looks worse. I'm using the Coralife light for now until I get my new fixture.

I haven't officially started cycling, unless you consider putting the live rock in part of it. I will put my shrimp (raw) in tonight and start officially!

If it looks uneven then it is. lol. If you used emt it should be very easy to straighten out. Looking good.

One was a little taller than the other...maybe like 1/2". I could cut it off, but I don't want to go through the trouble right now, so I'll figure something out before I use it. It is emt conduit. :D

Awesome job JOM! I love it! You did such a wonderful job!! I cant wait to see this thing in action.

One was a little taller than the other...maybe like 1/2". I could cut it off, but I don't want to go through the trouble right now, so I'll figure something out before I use it. It is emt conduit. :D
Just breakin them a bit. I does look great can't wait to see the occupants.

When I was a young man and would make a small mistake, my Father would say....just tell them "that's the way I wanted it". Problem solved...

Thanks!

Haha...thats good advice thincat...I like it!

I added 2 raw shrimp to the tank tonight. Woot!

I also tested my SG again...it was 1.026, so better than it was. I'm ok with that for now. I tested ammonia too, just for fun and it was 0. My pH was 7.8. I expect it might go up a little before its over.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't heard that. I really just tested it for fun too. I'll remember that and if I check it randomly, I won't put much thought into it. :D

Back
Top Bottom